Cake On A Plane? (A Little Long...)

Decorating By CakelynsFinest Updated 12 Jul 2011 , 8:30pm by BlakesCakes

CakelynsFinest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakelynsFinest Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 11:09pm
post #1 of 17

I have volunteered to make my cousin's grooms cake in NY next weekend. I know I'm crazy. I always put myself in these situations! So I leave Thursday night and the wedding is on Saturday morning. It's not going to be a big cake. Maybe 2 tiers? So I was thinking to save time I can bake the cakes here, freeze them and take them in a soft cooler. I checked the TSA website and it says that cakes are allowed on the plane. Has anyone done this before??? I would just hate to have my cakes taken away from me if they don't allow it. Or a friend of mine says that she has overnighted an undecorated cake with dry ice in the box for a cake she had to do out of state. Any advice will be MUCH APPRECIATED! Thanks in advance!

16 replies
CakelynsFinest Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 12:55am
post #2 of 17

Anyone???

Kaybaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaybaby Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 1:07am
post #3 of 17

I can't speak for cakes, but my friend took an edible arrangement on southwest once and they told her it had to fit under the seat in front of her or in the overhead. She had to remove a good portion of it so it could fit. I never looked the same.

Vonda

CakelynsFinest Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 1:29am
post #4 of 17

I was planning on bringing it undecorated and frozen in a a soft cooler and just fill and decorate once i get there. I'm sure I can get a cooler to fit in those areas, right?

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 1:42am
post #5 of 17

I always bring cakes when im coming to the states from UK,its fine. I bake and freeze,pack with boards on both sides and sellotape all together,i check in some in btw my clothes and carry some in hand luggage. The one in my hand luggage broke a bit and the other in my luggage was fine.

CakelynsFinest Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 1:56am
post #6 of 17

Really? That's so great to hear! I would probably bring them with me on the plane.

morrisaz2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morrisaz2004 Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 2:10am
post #7 of 17

In March, I took a carved cake (see the diaper bag cake in my gallery) on the plane with me and had no problems whatsoever. That being said, I had called the airlines (Southwest) talked to them about what size their under-the-seat areas were, if this was allowed, etc. I found the exact dimensions of the under-seat area somewhere online. Southwest did tell me that if TSA decided they didn't want the cake to go thru to the gate, that they had that right and they wouldn't have to give you a reason. I did take a few precautions. I used bubble tea straws for doweling, made sure of height requirements and took the earliest/first flight out of my airport, as they are the least crowded. I also called the airlines the night before and asked if my particular flight was full for the next morning. I was told there was plenty of room. It was a fairly empty flight and the flight attendants let me buckle my cake into the seat next to me and I kept it there the whole flight. It didn't budge and had no problems with TSA! Good luck! Hope it works out for you.

CakelynsFinest Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 2:23am
post #8 of 17

Wow that's so great to hear. You are brave! I would be so scared going with a carved cake. Unfortunately I am going on the last flight of the night to NYC so I am sure it'll be full. But that's a good idea to call the airline before to find out the dimensions and if it's allowed. Were your cakes frozen? I'll probably freeze them and put in a cooler to take but should I get dry ice? Would they even allow that? I know I should just call...

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 2:28am
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisaz2004

In March, I took a carved cake (see the diaper bag cake in my gallery) on the plane with me and had no problems whatsoever. That being said, I had called the airlines (Southwest) talked to them about what size their under-the-seat areas were, if this was allowed, etc. I found the exact dimensions of the under-seat area somewhere online. Southwest did tell me that if TSA decided they didn't want the cake to go thru to the gate, that they had that right and they wouldn't have to give you a reason. I did take a few precautions. I used bubble tea straws for doweling, made sure of height requirements and took the earliest/first flight out of my airport, as they are the least crowded. I also called the airlines the night before and asked if my particular flight was full for the next morning. I was told there was plenty of room. It was a fairly empty flight and the flight attendants let me buckle my cake into the seat next to me and I kept it there the whole flight. It didn't budge and had no problems with TSA! Good luck! Hope it works out for you.

I guess if the TSA wants cake, that is reason enough to keep it? What crap!

morrisaz2004 Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 2:32am
post #10 of 17

No my cake was not frozen. It was fresh. completely decorated and just as you see it in the picture. I did a lot of praying before that flight, let me tell ya! icon_lol.gif The cake was for my cousin and I don't think I'll ever do that "cake on a plane" thing again. It was one of the scariest things I've ever done!
I doubt dry ice is allowed on the plane, but just to be sure, I'd ask. And, if you get a chance, call of the day you're traveling and just ask if there are any open seats on your plane. Even if you end up in the back of the plane, they might allow your cake to fly on the seat next to you, if they aren't completely booked. It's always worth a shot, especially if you're nervous about it. thumbs_up.gif

CakelynsFinest Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 2:40am
post #11 of 17

Wow, I cannot believe you took that cake on the plane with you! Amazing! And nerve wrecking! I LOVE LOVE LOVE your work. I've saved some of your cakes into my favorites not even knowing it's from the same person! Your Blue Moon cake is awesome. My husband LOVES it. So I am going to call and get some info. Thanks for your help! icon_smile.gif

morrisaz2004 Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 2:45am
post #12 of 17

Thanks so much and more than happy to help. Let us know how it goes in the end. I'm sure you'll have no problems. icon_smile.gif[/quote]

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 3:14am
post #13 of 17

I don't know about flying, but I recently transported components for a three tier carved bulldog cake in a cooler on a six hour drive from St. Paul to Omaha. I had the tiers assembled, crumb coated and frozen solid. Rather than ice, I froze my icings in tubs, packed them flat in the cooler and put the cake layers on top. Because of the size of the cake, I used two large square coolers. But what I really wanted to share is that I filled the coolers at about 10 am one day and the following morning (after sitting in my son's house overnight), everything in the coolers was still slightly frozen. Based on this, I don't think you need dry ice. Use frozen icing blocks instead icon_smile.gif

Bohnlo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bohnlo Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 3:23am
post #14 of 17

I work for an Airline (Frontier) and we do accept a limited amount of dry ice. Your container has to have an opening for the gas produced as dry ice melts to dissapate. Other airlines may have other rules, so its probably a good idea to call and ask what the policy is.

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 3:51am
post #15 of 17

I recently took my sister's wedding cake on the plane (checked luggage) and brought the topper on the plane with me.
I froze the cakes, packed them back into their pans..made foamcore lids for the top of the cakepans and taped them on with duct tape. The morning of the flight I packed them in my suitcase in those insulated grocery bags and then wrapped them up in towels and they made it through the flight fine..no probs! I took the topper wrapped in bubble wrap and foam in a cakebox that fit under the seat..the scariest part of all was when it had to go through the xray machine with those horrid rubber flaps..but again it was well protected. I also took a completed cake..the black converse runners in my pics to LA from Canada..so they went through customs and then on a long plane ride..under the seat in a 14" cake box..I used nonslip matting on the floor and placed the cake on top...ask for preboarding so you can settle the cake..hahah
Everything made it fine..good luck to you!!!!! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

karabeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karabeal Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 4:36am
post #16 of 17

You are all brave cakers! I am very impressed by your daring travels. How fun to be able to bring some cake happiness to those far away.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 8:30pm
post #17 of 17

I'll be honest, I see no reason to try to travel with frozen cake. I've traveled many, many times with both room temp "naked" layers and with room temp completed cakes--always on Southwest either in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of me--and never had a single problem--knock wood!

With naked layers, I packed them on their same sized boards and then put a second board of the same size on top. Wrapped them well in saran and put them in the proper sized box, even stacking up to 2 layers. No damage. I put all of my buttercream, fondant, and tools in checked luggage.

Completed cakes have been put in the proper box, easy to open so TSA can see, and properly stowed.

The cake below is my son's wedding cake--14-10-6. All real cake and all naked layers carried, boxed and wrapped as described above, in a carry on suitcase that fit in the overhead bin--from Cleveland to Las Vegas. Completed in a condo on the Strip. Thank God, not a single problem.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%