Martha's Rv Recipe

Baking By AnnieCahill Updated 11 Jul 2011 , 7:30pm by AnnieCahill

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 5

I have been asked to do a 14" red velvet. I've never made RV in my life, but I've heard good things about the MS recipe so I thought I'd give it a try.

Does anyone know how this cake bakes? If I fill it 1/2 is that going to be too much or too little? I read one of the comments on the recipe site that the cake was spewing out of the pan and onto the oven floor so that makes me worry about how to fill it. I usually do 3/4 full with bake even strips.

Thanks,
Annie

4 replies
AnnieCahill Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 6:52pm
post #2 of 5

I guess I should mention that I am using 2 2" pans instead of 3 3" pans as called for in the recipe.

Thanks,
Annie

ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 7:02pm
post #3 of 5

I haven't made this recipe myself, but maybe you could bake a couple of cupcakes first, just to see how much it rises. You could do 1/2 full in one and 3/4 in another and that should give you a better idea about how much to put in the cake pans.

Foxicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foxicakes Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 7:24pm
post #4 of 5

I looked up the recipe and she states that it makes 5 cups of batter. Then, there is a guide to how many cups to use per pan depending on size of the pan, however she does state to use 3" pans. That being said, her guide is to use 12 cups of batter in a 15 x 3 pan. I would drop that down to 9.5 or 10 cups of batter (or two recipes) for the 14 inch pan and you should be good.

AnnieCahill Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 7:30pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks Foxi. I was just worried about it turning into exploding lava and spewing all over the oven, which would actually be kind of funny since it is red.

Seriously, that has happened to me with chocolate before!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%