Food Safety

Decorating By Tea42 Updated 11 Jul 2011 , 4:48pm by kakeladi

Tea42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tea42 Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 9

Found my freezer had died on me last night. What is the general concensus on using the 8 - 10 cake layers that were in it?

The temperature was room temp; no coolness at all.

Thanks for your thoughts

8 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 3:10pm
post #2 of 9

If everything in the freezer is at room temp, then I'd be worried about how long it had been off. Personally I would throw it all away.

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 3:18pm
post #3 of 9

I don't think you need to throw them away. It's not like cake goes bad at room temp. But I wouldn't refreeze them. You probably don't need them for an order today so if you don't want to trash them you could ice them and give to friends or donate them.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 3:39pm
post #4 of 9

I would throw them away as like TexasSugar said, you don't know how long it had been off. Besides, being at a warm temp with no moving air is just a disaster in the waiting. Better to be safe than sorry.
evelyn

TexasSugar Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 3:58pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie1985

I don't think you need to throw them away. It's not like cake goes bad at room temp.

Yes, actually a cake would go bad at room temp, if it has been at room temp for a long period of time. It can go stale as well.

If the op has no idea how long the freezer has been out, and can't narrow it down to a period of time, then I think throwing them away is the safest thing to do.

If she knew for sure it had only been 24 hours or 48 hours that is a different story. But if she has no idea how long it is been, then those cakes could be in their for a week or more at room temp. Personally I wouldn't give anyone a week old cake.

If the freezer was very full and hadn't been opened, it should actually stay cold for a few days and things wouldn't thaw out completely right away. So if that is the case and everything in in there at room temp, I'd be concerned that it had been off for a while.

If it wasn't very full, as in these cakes were the only thing in there, then they would thaw a lot faster.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 4:05pm
post #6 of 9

My 1st thought was 'heck no'.....I'd not waste it.
But then..........Texas layed it all out ..... she it right this timeicon_smile.gif (HAHA) Not knowing how long it's been out and *what else in the way of food* was in there - what could of leaked? or caused problems.

Then there is the 'nose' check. If they smell o.k., maybe take a tiny bit to see if it is ok. That is if a time frame can be pinned down and say the fzr has been off for only 2-3 days - at *very* most 4, then I'd probably keep them.

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 4:08pm
post #7 of 9

You're right TexasSugar. I just assumed it had only been off a day or 2. Should have asked first if she had an idea of how long it had been off.

TexasSugar Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 4:15pm
post #8 of 9

Just this time Kakaladi? icon_wink.gif

If she could narrow it down to a day or two, then I'd say use them. Or if they were even a little bit cool, rather than at room temp.

But if she put the cakes in there 2 weeks ago as an example, and hasn't looked or been around the freezer since then, then I'd be worried about using them.

This is one of those questions that there are too many variables and not enough information to really be able to truly honest. While I hate to throw things out myself, I have learned that sometimes it has to be done, especially when it involves food safety.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 4:48pm
post #9 of 9

...........if she put the cakes in there 2 weeks ago as an example, and hasn't looked or been around the freezer since then, then I'd be worried about using them.
This is one of those questions that there are too many variables and not enough information to really be able to truly honest.....

Yep, exactly not enough info and way too mamy variables.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%