Need Tips/ideas For Packing Cake Pops

Baking By enchantedcreations Updated 12 Jul 2011 , 3:19am by Becca1007

enchantedcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enchantedcreations Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 11:57am
post #1 of 8

Hello everyone,
I need to pack 75-100 cake pops and fly them from Florida to Ohio. I will be carrying them on the plane with me. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas or suggestions about about this in order to make the transaction thru security easy, etc.

BTW, I will not be imposing on copy right restrictions and I'm not charging anyone for this. (just so this doesn't come up in the post later) I just need a simple answer in regards to packing.

thank you in advance for your help.

7 replies
enchantedcreations Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 8

Anybody?

23 are watching for a reply.............

mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 6:24pm
post #3 of 8

How about styrofoam blocks. Put the pops into the styrofoam. Maybe put the blocks in a plastic tote? I transported over 100 gumapste flowers that way for an out of town weddinng. As far as security, since the pops are not wired, there shouldn't be a problem, but call the airport or your airline to find out.

Cakeuhlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeuhlicious Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 7:05pm
post #4 of 8

I would call the airport and find out of you can hand carry them at all. My airport wont let any food products through security...one of my friends was stopped and searched for coming back from a trade show with a fondant sample. LOL They may think you're toting tiny balls of explosives! icon_surprised.gif

If they say it is ok, I would agree that a clear, plastic tote with an easy to remove lid would likely be your best bet with the styrafoam lining in the bottom to keep them separated.

GL! icon_smile.gif

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 7:23pm
post #5 of 8

I have carried food through security. Ham and cheese sandwiches, cookies just nothing to drink. As long as it will fit under the seat in front of you or in overhead you should be okay. They just need to be secure because you will be jostled on an airplane.

superwawa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superwawa Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 7:42pm
post #6 of 8

I have travelled by plane many times with everyday food, as well as finished (fondant-covered) cakes without any incident. (last week I flew to my mom's with TEN loaves of seedless rye bread - don't ask LOL. Her friends all miss a specific bread from the NYC area) and did not even get stopped as the many loaves passed through the xray.

As for transport, are you dead set on doing pops and not just bites/truffles? When I travel by car with pops I use a container with styrofoam that would definately be too tall to fit under a plane seat - and with your quantity I am not sure about fitting them all together. Are you travelling alone? Any way to split the quantity?

My main concern in your situation would be the stability factor - if the pops are sticking up in styrofoam, the jostling might make the pops touch each other, or worse break apart on the stick. Maybe someone has an idea about transporting them another way, such as lying flat in some way?

I was also thinking about the temperature factor - going from your house, to the heat outside, to the airport/plane, to back out in the heat may compromise the stability as well.

Best of luck!

Edited: I just read a thread on the Wilton site about MAILING pops that might also work for you:
"...I have sent some to CA. All I did was wrap them individually in treat bags, put them in a plastic baggie, and then stuffed the box with bubble wrap. My brother said they made it there fine and still looking and tasting great. You could always freeze them before you mail them to help ensure they won't melt. "

enchantedcreations Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 2:39am
post #7 of 8

Thank you everyone for your tips. There will be two of us traveling so I can split them up and have the two of us carry them on. It's the Tampa airport that I have to go thru. It's it or miss with security people. You just never know how picky they'll be when it comes to checking out your stuff here. I like the idea of freezing them. That may be the best option. I appreciate your help. icon_smile.gif
Amy

Becca1007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Becca1007 Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 3:19am
post #8 of 8

Ok, so I have done this for long car trips and it should be similar for a plane ride.

Wrap individual pops in treat bags and tie with twist tie or ribbon. Then place them in a tupperware. I stack them alternating directions so they fit securely. Then bubble wrap on top and close the tupperware.

Refrigerate the cake pops before transport (I don't freeze as it can cause the coating/chocolate to crack) and then I place the tupperware in a cooler. No ice or gel packs needed, just the insulation of the cooler has kept them cool enough.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%