Wilton Sports Ball Pan Question

Decorating By HappyCake10609 Updated 11 Jul 2011 , 1:52pm by HappyCake10609

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 12:07am
post #1 of 4

I'm doing a cake in a couple of weeks and the top tier of a 3 tier cake is going to be a soccer ball. I'm strongly considering getting the Sports Ball pan rather than trying to carve a sphere that size, but I've got a couple of questions about it that I haven't found answers to anywhere:

Does the pan have a flat bottom on one side? Or do I have to carve it to level off one side so it doesn't roll around?

If it does have a level side, what is the approximate diameter? Because it's going to be a stacked cake I need a cake board under it and supports, but all the pictures I have seen it looks to be resting on a very small surface and I haven't read anywhere about a flat bottom. (I would prefer to use the SPS system but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get a small enough plate)

When you assemble the two sides of the cake do you need to add anything for structural support? Or do you just slap on some buttercream and stick the halves together? (would you recommend not torting?)

Any other tips or suggestions for stacking the ball on a cake? I would prefer to transport it stacked and I'll be driving 30 minutes with it. But the narrow base has me REALLY nervous about it!

Thank you for any help!!

3 replies
smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 12:33am
post #2 of 4

There is no flat spot, you will have to shave off some on the bottom. You just frost between the layers and put them together. Cut a board to the size of the bottom circle that you shave off and then support as usual.

Stephanie

aswinqiust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswinqiust Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 12:45am
post #3 of 4

I have the ball pan and made a basketball cake that I put on top of a 12 inch square doble layer cake. I did not put a cake board under the ball cake; but I did use a wooden dowel in the ball cake to support it on the square cake - it worked out fine. Good luck
icon_smile.gif

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 1:52pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the info! I think I will give this pan a try... maybe I'll just place the ball on top at the party so I don't have to worry about it rolling off during transit... It sure will be easier than trying to carve a layer cake into a ball!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%