Mango Cake

Baking By saberger Updated 11 Jul 2011 , 12:25am by warchild

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 9:02pm
post #1 of 10

Does anyone have a recipe for Mango cake....either scratch or doctored box?

TIA

9 replies
EnglishCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnglishCakeLady Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 9:23pm
post #2 of 10

I had a request for a mango cake and did this:

Using a white box mix I added Lor Ann mango emulsion. For the filling I spread the cake with mango preserve (it was like a mango curd I found in Safeway) and then added this curd mixture to Italian meringue buttercream and used that as a filling and frosting. It certainly smelled mango-ey and was told it was 'to die for!'

Bit of a cheat, I know, but had no idea what else to do!

pettmybunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pettmybunny Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 10

Somebody had posted a mango cake recipe in the cake balls forum. I know it's about a billion pages long, so it may be a lot of reading to get to it. Somewhere in the middle towards the end, if I remember correctly.

Stephy42088 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephy42088 Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 9:33pm
post #4 of 10

you can sub part of the liquid is WASC with mango nectar and then use lorann flavoring as well, thats what i do for mango cream cheese frosting and it the most delicious frosting EVER! I'm sure it would work for cake as well!

EnglishCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnglishCakeLady Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 9:35pm
post #5 of 10

Oooh, mango nectar is such a good idea! I'll be doing that next time!

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 9:48pm
post #6 of 10

I made the WASC recipe into a mango cake for a good friend a few years back. I used mango yougurt in place of the sour cream, half buttermilk, half mango liqueur for the liquid, and a teaspoon Loranns mango flavouring (not the oil) as well as a half teaspoon vanilla.

I'm not a big fan of mango but my friend loved it. It was mentioned, that maybe next time, hint, hint, I might add a wee bit more mango liqueur.. icon_razz.gif

Just a note. I don't use regular flour or regular granulated sugar in WASC, I use self rising flour and berry sugar (superfine).

pettmybunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pettmybunny Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 9:56pm
post #7 of 10

I went and searched the cake ball forum for it... It was on page 77 icon_smile.gif She uses the reserved syrup to bind her balls, so I guess for the cake, you don't need to keep it, unless you want to use it in the frosting for flavor...

1/2 cup mango slices in syrup, chopped
125grams butter/margarine chopped
1/2 teaspoon coconut essence
3/4 cup caster sugar
2 eggs
1 cup dessicated coconut
1 1/4 cups self-raising flour

Drain mangoes over a small bowl and reserve syrup

beat the butter, essence and sugar in a small bowl with an electric beater

add eggs one at a time, beating until just combined between additions

transfer mixture to a larger bowl and stir in mango, coconut and flour , mix well

Pour mixture into a greased pan

bake at 180C for about 30 minutes.

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 10:09pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks everyone. And thanks pettmybunny for searching through the pages! The only problem is that I don't want to use coconut due to allergens.

So, if I want to use the frozen mango puree or fresh mango puree in the recipe, what would it be substituted for? Or do I just add it in?

warchild Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 12:13am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by saberger

Thanks everyone. And thanks pettmybunny for searching through the pages! The only problem is that I don't want to use coconut due to allergens.

So, if I want to use the frozen mango puree or fresh mango puree in the recipe, what would it be substituted for? Or do I just add it in?

You should be okay using one part mango puree and one part liquid. Maybe add a bit more liquid if you find the batter too thick. Thats if you're using a mix though, I'd be a bit hesitant using all puree if it was scratch.

warchild Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 12:25am
post #10 of 10

Found this mango cake recipe from Plugra butter, that uses pureed mango.

It sounds lovely!

The Mango cake.

http://www.plugra.com/recipes/mango-cake

The Raspberry mango Italian buttercream to accompany the cake.

http://www.plugra.com/recipes/raspberry-mango-italian-buttercream-frosting

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%