I Need Sugar Paste Help!

Decorating By sid80 Updated 12 Jul 2011 , 6:50pm by TexasSugar

sid80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sid80 Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 8

Hello, I have never decorated a cake in my life and need some help if possible.

I have said I will help my friend out decorating her wedding cake, but I could do with some help with the basics.

All I am looking to do is simple bunting around the outside edge of the cake. I have sugarpaste and am planning on cutting the triangle shape bunting out of that, then piping on the string using icing.

What I need to know is, do I let the sugar paste shapes completely dry before I stick it on the cake? How do I stick it, I have heard that water will do the trick? And also, how soon can I make a start on this? The wedding is at the end of July. I want to be able to take my time and get it just right and not leave it all till the last minute. Is it something I cn start now and keep dipping into over the next few weeks? She has 3 large cakes that all want the bunting round the outside.

This might all seem a bit basic, but any answers, tips or advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

7 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 3:01pm
post #2 of 8

Do you have a link to a picture of what you are wanting to do?

When it comes to sugar paste/fondant, if you want something to dry completely you can do it ahead of time. If you want it bendable and soft, then you want to do it before putting it on the cake.

sid80 Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 11:46am
post #3 of 8

Hi, thank you so much for getting back to me on this one.

I'm afraid I don't have a picture of what I'm hoping to achieve on this one. I think I would like the flags of sugar paste dry so I can be making them now and they will all be ready to go at the same time.

So do you think I can get away with starting them now and storing them in a container?? Also, any clues how I would stick the flags onto the cake? Water? Icing?

Thanks again!

TexasSugar Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 3:04pm
post #4 of 8

Because I'm not exactly sure what you are planning on doing it is hard for me to say.

As far as sticking them on the cake you can attach with royal icing or gum glue. I usually make gum glue by mixing gumpaste with water, but there are many different ways you can do it.

sid80 Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 3:07pm
post #5 of 8

Many thanks. I have just ordered some edible glue so will have a go using that!

Please let it work out icon_smile.gif

Your help is very welcome!

Cheers

TexasSugar Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 3:13pm
post #6 of 8

You don't have an order any. It's easy to make.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-718753-gum.html+glue

I want to say what we call gum paste is what you would call flower paste, but I can't remember for sure. Gum paste is what is used to make the flowers that dry hard fast.

If your pieces are on the heavier side I'd use the royal icing since it will really attach them well.

sid80 Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 6:09pm
post #7 of 8

Ooh, lovely. I will give that a try. I think I need to bite the bullet and get stuck in now. Just hope it lasts ok till the big day! Thanks again

TexasSugar Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 6:50pm
post #8 of 8

Good luck with it! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%