Serving Chart

Decorating By vgray Updated 10 Jul 2011 , 2:39pm by vgray

vgray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgray Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 5:39am
post #1 of 4

Okay I have been using my own serving chart so far for cake and some cakes have more/less servings than Wilton/Earlene. I know many say Wilton all the way and some say Earlene's. My questions are: If you use the Wilton cake chart, do you use the wedding one for weddings and the party one for parties? Or do you stick to the wedding one for all cakes or to the party one for all cakes? Or (LOL) Do you use the Wilton one for weddings and Earlene's for parties?

3 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 7:27am
post #2 of 4

I always used the wedding serving chart to price the cake.

If you use the wedding AND party charts, be sure your party slices are priced accordingly. For example, wilton is 1x2x4 (8 cubic inches). Party size is usually 1.5x2x4 (12 cubic inches). Customer is getting 50% more cake per serving ergo your price s/b 50% higher. $3.00/serving for wedding ..... $4.50/serving for party. (when I go to McDonalds or Wendys and get a larger fry, I have to pay more for "my serving" because there are more fries in it.)

The price of the actual cake is the same:

12" square cake, when cut in wilton sizes will be cut in 12 columns by 6 rows = 72 servings x $3/serving = $216

12" square cake, when cut in party sizes, will be cut in 8 columns by 6 rows = 48 servings x $4.50/serving = $216.

I always view a serving chart as a way to price a cake, not necessarily how many people it will feed (and oh yeah by the way, those two numbers are usually pretty close! icon_wink.gif ) what I would do in the above example is tell the client, "this cake will feed 40-70 people, depending on how you cut it. the price is $216.

They can cut the dang thing in half and feed 2 people with it for all I care, but they are paying for 72 servings. icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 9:37am
post #3 of 4

Exactly what she said.

vgray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgray Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 2:39pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you so much! The way you explained it makes total sense. I was thinking same price per serving either was. I wasn't thinking I need to charge more for the party servings. icon_redface.gif Please excuse my newbieness. lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%