How To Color Icing Burgandy?

Decorating By laurabeth73 Updated 25 Jul 2011 , 9:04pm by kearniesue

laurabeth73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurabeth73 Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 2:22am
post #1 of 9

I have to make a 3 tiered graduation cake at the end of this month & one of the 3 colors is burgandy. YIKES!!! I'm trying to stay away from using fondant to achieve the color but I am absolutely terrified of the icing tasting horrible. Any suggestions or recommendations will be GREATLY appreciated!

8 replies
mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 9

Wilton has a chart for mixing colors. Good luck. It's a very frustrating color!

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 5:16pm
post #3 of 9

I usually start with coloring it pink, then add some purple & a tiny bit of black. Hope this helps!

laurabeth73 Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 5:33am
post #4 of 9

I am so sorry it took me so long to respond to your answers but my computer went down. I do want to thank u both soooo much for replying to my question!!!! Both of your suggestions are a BIG help!!! I'm gonna try both ways. Thanks again for your help! It's greatly appreciated! : )

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 5:56am
post #5 of 9

AmeriColor & Wilton have the color burgundy....so try to just buy the burgundy and save yourself some headaches

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 7:43am
post #6 of 9

Also, if you are buying Fondant t, Duffs buttercream fondant in red mixed with his purple fondant turns a beautiful shade of burgundy. You can see in my recent photo of the robot graduation cake. Good luck!

laurabeth73 Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 8:30pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you all again for all your suggestions! You have been such a big help! Wish me luck!!! lol

Moovaughan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moovaughan Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 8:47pm
post #8 of 9

Red + Black makes burgandy.... add the black a very little at t time until you get your color, if you want more a purplish burgandy add a teeny tiny bit of blue!

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 9:04pm
post #9 of 9

I just did a grad cake with burgandy. I used Americolor Burgandy, then added more red and a touch of black. That seemed to do the trick! GL

Karen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%