Fondant Question?

Decorating By JerseyLove Updated 12 Jul 2011 , 4:28pm by YummyCreations

JerseyLove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JerseyLove Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 11:13pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a birthday cake for my Female friends 25th birthday and im trying to make it over the top. Her themed colors are Black, Teal, Purple and Hot Pink. She loves stars & JAck Skellington. Im trying to think of how to theme the cake with the colors, It is a rockstar event. I and good with coloring and working with fondant. So can anyone give me any ideas?

Also how can i flavor my fondant with out it getting too sticky since flavorings are liquid? are there any idea on that for a real nice flavor instead of the almond flavor.??

Let me know!

4 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 11:41pm
post #2 of 5

You can mix candy clay/modeling chocolate with your fondant for a better flavor.

katj012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katj012 Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 5

Do you make your own fondant, or buy it? I just tried making Michele Foster's Fondant (it's on the recipe portion of this site) and if you do that (it's super easy) you can flavor it however you want icon_smile.gif

Cakeuhlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeuhlicious Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 5

I think it would be cool to do the jack hill/moon on the top of the cake. You could mold the hill and do the moon part as a disk separately (could stand it up with wires so it's kind of 3-d to the "hill"). The hill is very textured in that black/purpley color so that would fit in with the color scheme. You could include stars shooting out around the moon in the bday colors.

As for the base decor on the tiers, I would probably do a stripe that goes up and over the side of the tiers and tapers off into the bottom of the next tier to mimic Jack's pinstriping in the bday colors (teal, hot pink, etc on black).

You could do little jack heads as a border around a tier, instead of a bubble border. That could be cute.

I see the super skinny Jack being hard to do but this little guy is cute! Could make a cute topper or tier decor.

Thats all I got. LOL

YummyCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YummyCreations Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 4:28pm
post #5 of 5

You can flavor the fondant with candy flavor oils. I use these all the time and since they are oil based they don't make the fondant sticky. You can buy them in all different flavors, but be careful as some of the colored ones will tint your fondant a bit. They work great for flavoring buttercream too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%