Frosting & Fondant Help Please

Decorating By Olina95 Updated 9 Jul 2011 , 7:55pm by Olina95

Olina95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Olina95 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 6:07am
post #1 of 5

I am having a problem when I do a fondant cake. The fondant seems to soak up the frosting & deform the cake & expand the fondant. Any tips on how I can stop this from happening? I have frozen my cakes, then covered it with frosting, froze it again, did a second layer of frosting, then covered the cake with fondant, and put it back in the fridge. But once I take the cake out for longer then 30 minutes the same expanding & deforming starts to happen. Anyone have any ideas how to stop this from continuing to happen??? Thank you!

4 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 5:37pm
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olina95

I am having a problem when I do a fondant cake. The fondant seems to soak up the frosting & deform the cake & expand the fondant. Any tips on how I can stop this from happening? I have frozen my cakes, then covered it with frosting, froze it again, did a second layer of frosting, then covered the cake with fondant, and put it back in the fridge. But once I take the cake out for longer then 30 minutes the same expanding & deforming starts to happen. Anyone have any ideas how to stop this from continuing to happen??? Thank you!

What kind of frosting are you using? If it's whipped cream-ish, that won't work well w/fondant.

Are you allowing the cakes to cool well before freezing?

Are you allowing the cakes to rest at room temp after icing, but before adding fondant?

There's no need to re-freeze a cake after you've iced it. I have a "one freeze" rule--if I freeze the layers before construction, I don't ever freeze the cake again.

Once you ice the cake, if you need/want to cool it before adding the fondant, it should only be done for maybe 10 -30 mins.

There's no need to refrigerate a fondant covered cake unless the filling is perishable. If you refrigerate it and take it out into a warm or humid room, the fondant will soften with the condensation.

How thick is your fondant? Is your cake very light & fluffy?

Rae

KimLynnC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimLynnC Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 6:10pm
post #3 of 5

Make sure the cake is thawed out and room temp before covering in fondant.

KimLynnC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimLynnC Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 6:10pm
post #4 of 5

Make sure the cake is thawed out and room temp before covering in fondant.

Olina95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Olina95 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 7:55pm
post #5 of 5

Ok - I will try these tips. I will freeze only once & let it warm to room temperature. I make my frosting with shortening, water, powdered sugar & vanilla/butter extracts (nonperishable). I try to make my cakes not so soft - because the weight of the frosting & fondant tends to weigh it down icon_sad.gif... Thank you so much for the advice. I will let you all know how it goes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%