post #1 of 43

Is called to order .

Who's up?
Whatcha working on?[/u]

42 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 2:47am
post #2 of 43

Argh. My phone, cable and internet all went out at 10:30.

Doing this from my cell phone.

SweetpeasBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetpeasBakery Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 2:50am
post #3 of 43

Hooray- my first cake club fun! icon_smile.gif I've been patiently waiting for your post (as I've been bored out of my mind and stalking the board tonight!)

Today I finished a relatively simple cake- 8 in 2 layer, real BC all around. Cut out fondant lettering (was for a boy's birthday) and also created a lacrosse stick and ball out of fondant. Decorated around the stick and ball with my grass tip. It came out pretty cute for being a "quick" cake. I don't know how to post photos yet, I'm still new!

leah_s Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 2:54am
post #4 of 43

Welcome! I've got one, four tier to finish . Damask. And must call the cable company.

SweetpeasBakery Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 2:56am
post #5 of 43

I'm not official yet, still battling my way through all the red tape in this darn town! I'm shooting for mid August to be free and clear though. icon_smile.gif

Todays cake was for a good friend.

Hopefully the cable company has good news for you- what a pain to be on through your phone! AH!

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 2:57am
post #6 of 43

good evening! leah_s hopefully your back up and running soon.
im just working on a fun cake tonight. got some new cake toys and im trying them out.
its been raining here all day- so it figures the one day i have to myself to play around, things are sticking and no coperating too well.
but im considering tonight a learning night-and the weather is definately part of it.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 2:57am
post #7 of 43

What a weekend! First 3 wedding weekend. Delivered one today, just finished 2 more for tomorrow. Still have to put sugar jewels on the one covered in cream cheese frosting icon_evil.gif and chocolate seashells on the other.

I really want to finish them now...but transport is likely to make the seashells shake off the cake and cause icing damage...and I don't want to melt my sugar jewels by putting them in the fridge.

Now finished with my 3rd glass of wine and am hitting the sack. Wish I could medicate (more wine) before the delivery. Seashell one I will be present at reception and the bride is a master at my dojo. Wish me luck.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 2:58am
post #8 of 43

Finished a 3 tiered baby shower cake...hubby will deliver that and a four tier wedding cake for me tomorrow. I've been having problems with my bad right shoulder again...getting kinda worried about it but whatever.... have an appt in August to see what's wrong with it (again).

BUT three wedding cakes next week, and after that VACATION!!! Maybe if I give my shoulder a break, it will heal up some.

SweetpeasBakery Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 2:59am
post #9 of 43

So fun! Sounds like quite the busy weekend! It's amazing what a good glass (or two!) of wine can do icon_cool.gif

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 3:04am
post #10 of 43

Kita,

Hope you enjoy your vacation....and that your shoulder recovers well.

KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 3:07am
post #11 of 43

I just finished 3 cakes of a 4 cake Saturday (finished the 4th last night)

8" round train theme
8" round construction theme
10" square delayed wedding reception with choc shells
hockey jersey (done last night)

Nothing liek what you ladies do but I do this for friends and family and normally not this many. Iw as just dumb and got my dates mixed up icon_razz.gif

aundrea Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 3:08am
post #12 of 43

kitagirl- i can relate to the shoulder problem.
i had rotator cuff surgery last year. its taken me a full year to feel some relief. still get cortizone shots. going again this month.
i let my shoulder pain go for too long.
and now...ugh....my left shoulder is acting up.
hope you get it checked out-best of luck to you

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 3:15am
post #13 of 43

I delivered cookie and cake truffles earlier today. Now I'm finishing packing for vacation. Woo hoo!

leah_s Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 3:20am
post #14 of 43

Cheatzie
Where ya going ?

GarciaGM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GarciaGM Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 3:29am
post #15 of 43

Working on a three-tier cake I'm doing as a practice run for my sister's wedding in August. This is the largest I've done (9-12-16) and my sister's will be the same size but with an added 6" round on top. I'm giving this one to the taekwondo school where my son goes - they are having six black belt candidates earn their black belts tomorrow.

So glad I logged on - now I remember Leah_S's tip from a couple of weeks ago, about running the spatula around the bottom edge to let the cake breathe? Said I had never had that air bubble problem that night and I woke up with it the next day!! Can't let that happen again!!

You guys blow me away doing so many cakes in one weekend!

MerlotCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerlotCook Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 3:35am
post #16 of 43

I get to join this tonight too! I'm doing a 4 tier 14, 12, 10, 8 for a wedding tomorrow. I'm delivering at 11 even though the reception isn't until 5. This dang cake weighs 52 pounds! My buttercream is the smoothest yet; I'm so excited!

Jess155 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess155 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 3:39am
post #17 of 43

My first time in the cake club! Yay!

I'm working on a couple dozen cupcakes that look like little pies. We are going to a "pie party" and every family is supposed to bring a side dish and a pie. I think that's a stinking LOT of pie. So, they get cuppies from us. icon_biggrin.gif

By the way Leah, thanks so much for the SPS tutorial! I <3 SPS!

mfoxx9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfoxx9 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 3:45am
post #18 of 43

Great job on the smooth buttercream! I just got Sugarshack's DVD in the mail today. Can't wait to watch it!

Nothing for me tonight, but I wanted to thank Leah for the cupcake tip from last week. I don't usually fill my cupcakes, but I wanted to try a new flavor this week. I used a tip 12 (the biggest I have), and it worked great, and fast!

My cupcakes: My goal was to replicate the taste of an Almond Joy candy bar. I made a new coconut cake recipe (they turned out great!), filled them with almond buttercream, iced with dark chocolate buttercream, and sprinkled sliced almonds on top. They were a hit!

aundrea Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 3:49am
post #19 of 43

so i got some new cake toys some from micheals and from a recent cake show.
havent really had time to play around til now.
thought i would give my opinion so far:
the baby mold is amazing! also tried the baby and young child face mold soooo easy.
also tried using a silicon bead mold...my pearls came out great!
still want to try my isomalt, first time ever using isomalt. i got a few jewel molds.
also will try my new stencil sheets-just finishing a batch of RI for that.
duffs sugar sheets (or whatever they are called) are HORRIBLE!
ive used edible images before so i thought they would similar.
heck no! its so thin and tears way too easy. never again will i purchase these. ive tried a few different kinds all the same result. oh and it taste horrible.
wilton sugar sheet is very thick which is nice so it doesnt tear as easy. kinda like the ones you get with an image on it at the store.
i got a cutter to go along with it....dont waste your money on the cutters. they dont cut through the thick sheet. wish i had my receipt to return it.
i picked up a few of duffs colors and so far i really like them. worth it when you use your coupon.
i also got duffs silver dangle hoop thingy they are cool with the gems attached.
wanna try the airbrush...wish me luck.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 3:51am
post #20 of 43

Hubby and I are vacationing alone for the first time. Woo hoo! We're headed to Vilano Beach, Florida to stay in a cottage on the ocean that has an ocean view from three sides. I can't wait to get there but I know I'm not going to like the drive.

Yay Merlotcook! I get really excited about smooth buttercream. icon_biggrin.gif

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 4:04am
post #21 of 43

Evening y'all.

Just finished a super-easy-quick giant cupcake for my nephew's 1st birthday.

It was a last minute deal as my SiL is horribly unorganized. They just moved south and are still settling in to a new place so the party is a little slapdash. I don't even know what theme/colors etc she ended up using.

I'm using up the leftover purple fondant from the wedding cake 2 weeks ago to cover the bottom "cup" of the giant cupcake and then doing swirly white frosting w/sprinkles on top. Jumbo cupcake for his smash cake. easy-peasy.

Kristy

GarciaGM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GarciaGM Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 4:05am
post #22 of 43

Merlotcook, did you use a different technique this time to get your buttercream smoother?

KJ62798 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 4:13am
post #23 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

Hubby and I are vacationing alone for the first time. Woo hoo! We're headed to Vilano Beach, Florida to stay in a cottage on the ocean that has an ocean view from three sides. I can't wait to get there but I know I'm not going to like the drive.

Yay Merlotcook! I get really excited about smooth buttercream. icon_biggrin.gif

Have fun! Sounds like an awesome place.

The hubby & I try to get away w/o the kiddos at least once a year (hopefully more) Thankfully, both sets of grand parents are local and willing to keep the munchkins for a long weekend now & then.

Kristy

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 4:14am
post #24 of 43

No real caking for me tonight but I do have 3 (first try) ranunculus drying and so far I really like them. I'll dust and steam them tomorrow. I was also pretty happy about my color matchings. It's for a wedding cake in 2 weeks and the colors are ivory and (David's Bridal) wisteria. My fondant/gp matches perfectly (mixed violet and burgundy gel colors) and I found ribbon at Joann's today called amethyst that's also a perfect match. I'll use that for the cake board.

The cake is actually a bale of hay with a white cowboy hat on top and I'm doing a "deconstructed" version of the bride's bouquet with flowers scattered over it. In addition to the ranunculus, there'll be a rose, a tulip, and a lisianthus along with leaves and maybe a fondant ribbon draped over the corner.

I don't have the opportunity to make very many cakes so I'm excited about it; can you tell? icon_lol.gificon_redface.gif

Happy caking!

MerlotCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerlotCook Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 4:16am
post #25 of 43

I actually used toednas youtube recipe and technique off of youtube...worked wonderfully! I love Indydebi's recipe but thought I'd give Edna's a try. Might try the technique with Debi's recipe next time.

KJ62798 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 4:18am
post #26 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

No real caking for me tonight but I do have 3 (first try) ranunculus drying and so far I really like them. I'll dust and steam them tomorrow. I was also pretty happy about my color matchings. It's for a wedding cake in 2 weeks and the colors are ivory and (David's Bridal) wisteria. My fondant/gp matches perfectly (mixed violet and burgundy gel colors) and I found ribbon at Joann's today called amethyst that's also a perfect match. I'll use that for the cake board.

The cake is actually a bale of hay with a white cowboy hat on top and I'm doing a "deconstructed" version of the bride's bouquet with flowers scattered over it. In addition to the ranunculus, there'll be a rose, a tulip, and a lisianthus along with leaves and maybe a fondant ribbon draped over the corner.

I don't have the opportunity to make very many cakes so I'm excited about it; can you tell? icon_lol.gificon_redface.gif

Happy caking!

That sounds lovely. Don't you love when a bride thinks outside of the box?

Kristy

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 4:33am
post #27 of 43

I'm doing my first Icing Smiles cake which will be delivered on Sunday to a little girl who is celebrating her first birthday and has never been home from the hospital icon_sad.gif

I just got the details on thursday, so it is very last minute, but to go with their pink princess request I am doing a 6/10 with a gum paste tiara on top, a grey fondant/gum paste castle wrap around on the pink buttercream top tier (it will be stand away a little bit to look like a castle wall) and the bottom pink buttercream quilted with pearls and a bottom border of the big 1m rosettes. It's not going to be as super grand as some of the IS "dream" cakes, but I hope it will still be a special way for her family to celebrate.

I'm debating putting a small cupcake inside the tiara for a smash cake, but I don't know if she is able to do that ( though they did say that she might be going home in a few weeks). Guess i can include it and it will be their choice.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 4:35am
post #28 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ62798

That sounds lovely. Don't you love when a bride thinks outside of the box?

Kristy

When we first discussed her cake, they were going for a Mexican theme (they met in Mexico) and I was REALLY excited about doing a sombrero and a version of Collette Peters' cactus cake for them. Then they changed their minds to the hay bale and cowboy hat icon_smile.gif.

How did your giant cupcake go? I had one of my worst cake disasters ever with one and now I'm afraid to try again!

myheartsdesire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myheartsdesire Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 4:36am
post #29 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorieleann

I'm doing my first Icing Smiles cake which will be delivered on Sunday to a little girl who is celebrating her first birthday and has never been home from the hospital icon_sad.gif

I just got the details on thursday, so it is very last minute, but to go with their pink princess request I am doing a 6/10 with a gum paste tiara on top, a grey fondant/gum paste castle wrap around on the pink buttercream top tier (it will be stand away a little bit to look like a castle wall) and the bottom pink buttercream quilted with pearls and a bottom border of the big 1m rosettes. It's not going to be as super grand as some of the IS "dream" cakes, but I hope it will still be a special way for her family to celebrate.

I'm debating putting a small cupcake inside the tiara for a smash cake, but I don't know if she is able to do that ( though they did say that she might be going home in a few weeks). Guess i can include it and it will be their choice.

I love icing smiles! It's such a great program. Good for you for being involved in such a wonderful thing! icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 4:37am
post #30 of 43

Cable, phone and internet are all still out. Can you believe it? No storms here to blame it on.

Lots of good cakes and cupcakes ( and cookies) in the mix tonight.

Glad to hear that SPS is working along with the other tips!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%