Help! Fondant/gumpaste Question

Decorating By paintergrrl73 Updated 8 Jul 2011 , 8:19pm by carmijok

paintergrrl73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paintergrrl73 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 5

Hi,

Is there anything that can speed up the drying time of fondant? I needed to make a movie "clap board" you know one of those things they use on the movie set to mark the scene...

Anyway since it has to be black I just bought some of Duff's pre-made fondant in black but it's taking forever to dry out and the cake is due tomorrow. I didn't want to mix it with gumpaste since I was afraid it would take away from the blackness. Is there anything I can do to get the fondant to dry/harden quicker or should I scrap it and start with a fondant/gumpaste mix? Any and all suggestions are appreciated!!
icon_sad.gif

4 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 5

Add a good amount of tylose to the fondant.

Liz23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liz23 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 8:02pm
post #3 of 5

I just tried some of Duff's black fondant and also had the same problem with it not drying even after adding more Tylose. I finally gave up and tinted some gumpaste black. It was dry in no time!!

Cakeuhlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeuhlicious Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 5

I had this issue last weekend with some flowers I made for a next-day cake. I had already made them so I didnt want to remix and remake them. I set them out to dry with a fan on them. I made sure to turn them once one side felt dry because it seemed like the undersides were still moist since no air was circulating under them. They came out nice and dry. Several people also recommended putting them in the oven with the oven light on (no heat on) to speed things up.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 8:19pm
post #5 of 5

I'd just get some pre=made gum paste and color it black. I buy Wilton's pre-made gum paste and it dries very fast and hard. I know that gum paste dries lighter than fondant so what I do is after it it's dried, I'll paint over it with the gel food coloring mixed with a little vodka or extract to darken. I had to do that with the brim of the baseball hat I did as well as the navy background of the Maverick's logo I did for a basketball cake. Another option to consider! HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%