Toronto Bakers Who Have Their Own Legal Business

Business By superfly Updated 9 Jul 2011 , 4:08pm by superfly

superfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superfly Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 3

Hey guys, I need info about starting up my own very small cake/cupcake business in Toronto. I'm not really sure where to start other than I have found a commercial kitchen from where I can bake from. Has anyone already been through the start up process and can give me some much needed good advice, or even the rules about baking from a commercial kitchen or even a home kitchen and selling to clients? I guess what I'm looking for is info on the step by step process so I can be prepared. Thanks for the help T.O. bakers.!

Step 1: Business Name Search, Registration?
Step 2:Get a Master Business licence?
Step 3:Apply for an HST number with Canada Revenue?
Step 4: Insurance?

2 replies
annie84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annie84 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 11:25am
post #2 of 3

The first 3 are super easy, they can all be done on the Service Ontario website (the service is currently unavailable put I'm guessing it should be up and running any time now.) It costs $60 to register your business, get your master business licence and register for HST. The price for searching for already registered names ranges depending on what exactly you want to search for but starts at $8.

For insurance, I would start with calling your own insurance provider and asking them questions. Insurance will depend on a variety of things, if you are doing it out of your home, renting a commerical kitchen, or if you own a seperate kitchen or storefront. You'll need liability insurance and a few other things. Most insurance companies should be able to walk you through it

Hope this helps!

superfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superfly Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you for getting back to me. I've heard that I don't have to have a HST# if I won't be making over a certain amount of money? What happens once I do all of the above? If I'm baking from a commercial kitchen do I need to notify the gov. or something? Or be inspected? Can I just start baking?

Quote by @%username% on %date%