Help! Icing Tastes Funny!???

Baking By knel Updated 8 Jan 2015 , 4:42pm by applecrisp1

knel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knel Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 1:32am
post #1 of 12

I have been using the same icing recipe for 5 years now and have never had any trouble with consistency or taste. The last 3 cakes I have done, I have noticed a different taste. I'm doing everything exactly the same... For the latest, I bought a new thing of Crisco, a different brand of confectioner's sugar and different brand flavoring. Still came up with the same taste. Maybe it's a silly question, but could it possibly be my mixer making it taste funny?

The confectioners sugar seems to be really strong, overpowering any flavoring I use, and it only gets stronger/sweeter to use more flavoring. It almost has an "old- I've been sitting in the refrigerator for a few days" kind of taste to it, and everything is in date, and just purchased...

ANY IDEAS??? Anyone ever experienced anything like this?

11 replies
brown_suga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brown_suga Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 1:45am
post #2 of 12

In the past I've had this issue when I put my KA beater in the dishwasher. I have the burnished aluminum one. If this is the case you may see a powdery grayish film come off your beater when you dry it.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 1:46am
post #3 of 12

If you bought a different brand of sugar and flavoring that's probably why it's tasting different to you. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the post.

I doubt it's the mixer.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 2:11am
post #4 of 12

Could it possibly by you? I mean as we grow older and /or are sick (in some way even if you don't think you are) your taste buds can be off.

ABelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ABelle Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 2:25am
post #5 of 12

I had some icing turn up tasting really funny & realized I used salted butter! Wow, it was not good!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 2:29am
post #6 of 12

Smell your Crisco and see if it has an odor. Sometimes cans of Crisco can go bad or just smell like chemicals. I had that problem several times back when I used Crisco (I changed to generic, but now I use Sweetex).

Different brands of vanilla can also make a fairly significant difference in icing.

But my vote is the crisco...it should not have much of an odor at all...if you can smell chemicals or something in it, then its probably what is making your icing taste funny.

knel Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 5:15pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Could it possibly by you? I mean as we grow older and /or are sick (in some way even if you don't think you are) your taste buds can be off.

Well, I wondered that... I was recently diagnosed with allergies AT THE AGE OF 36- never had issues before, and I've been on allergy meds for over a month. However, would it be that significant? I had a friend taste it, too, and even she said it tasted different, not bad, but not my usual.

To my knowledge, I've never put my mixer parts in the dishwasher. If this happens to be what it is, however, do I have to ditch my mixer?

FACSlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FACSlady Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 5:35pm
post #8 of 12

Watch over the next few weeks and see if anything else tastes wrong. It happened to me and I discovered I had a condition called Parosmia, which is a smell disorder. Most likely that's not your problem, but if it is and you don't know anything about Parosmia, you'll go crazy trying to figure it out. If only one thing that tastes off, though, you're safe.

kimmi1963 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmi1963 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 6:06pm
post #9 of 12

I also had funny tasting buttercream last weekend after making a couple of double batches. My son tasted and said that it tasted like one batch was just not as sweet as the other. I had put a bit more salt in to lessen the sweetness and I guess I over did it. It tasted real funny to me.

meharding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meharding Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 6:26pm
post #10 of 12

If you think it is your mixer see if you can borrow a mixer from a friend or relative. If you get the same odd taste then it's not the mixer. In troubleshooting it is always useful to change only one thing at a time. That way you isolate the problem. When you change multiple things it complicates the process. So try using a different fat, if the taste persists try a different flavoring, etc. Hope you figure it out I know it is frustrating.

knel Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 1:42pm
post #11 of 12

It is SOOO frustrating!!

applecrisp1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
applecrisp1 Posted 8 Jan 2015 , 4:42pm
post #12 of 12

I had this happen when i made icing sugar, so I tasted the raw icing sugar, it had a weird taste to it, I recently bought some glass jars to store it in, both jars containing the icing sugar in tasted weird....I think it matters what you store it in....maybe the jars had a mild scent and the the icing sugar absorbed it, because it was kind of a weird perfumy taste...that's all I can figure?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%