Chalking Fondant

Decorating By Pearl70 Updated 7 Jul 2011 , 8:49pm by TexasSugar

Pearl70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl70 Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 8

I saw where someone used Scrapbooking Chalk (on another website) to add color to fondant flowers. Is this safe? Have you all ever used it?

7 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 8:08pm
post #2 of 8

I've read you can use non toxic artist chalk. Which is about the same thing as non toxic dusts, which most of them are.

Pearl70 Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 8

do they eat the flowers or is it just for looks? I know this sounds like a stupid question but i have never heard of using it.

Leauna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leauna Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 8:21pm
post #4 of 8

I have used chalk before, just make sure that it says non toxic. I actually bought mine from a ceramic shop it was less expensive then the craft shops.

Pearl70 Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 8:25pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leauna

I have used chalk before, just make sure that it says non toxic. I actually bought mine from a ceramic shop it was less expensive then the craft shops.

but is it safe to eat?

TexasSugar Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 8:31pm
post #6 of 8

It isn't meant for eating, neither are the dusts they sell to cakes that are labelled non toxic.

When you think non toxic, think Elmer's glue. It is non toxic so there isn't anything in it that should make you sick, or hurt you, but it isn't really made to be eaten.

If you are looking for edible dusts I would check at Wilton's Pearl and Color dusts. They are FDA approved, which means they are classified as edible.

There is also a company called Sugar Paste that sells Crystal Colors. These are also edible, and they can actually be used to color your icings with, as well as to dust on things. They also have some Crystalized Dusts, which are like the pearl and luster dusts.

http://www.sugarpaste.com/colors/colors.htm

Pearl70 Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 8:41pm
post #7 of 8

thank you for your help

TexasSugar Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 8:49pm
post #8 of 8

You are welcome. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%