How Much Would You Charge?

Baking By ABelle Updated 10 Jul 2011 , 11:40pm by SweetBakesOfMine

ABelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ABelle Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 14

Hello, a lady wants something similar to these, she wants 100-150, red velvet with cream cheese frosting...I haven't a clue how to price them!

13 replies
ABelle Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 7:02pm
post #2 of 14
KakeMistress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakeMistress Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 7:12pm
post #3 of 14

I would make a sample of each one and find out how long it takes you to make each of the toppers.. HTH

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 14

Those cupcakes look very detailed, we would probably charge in the $5-6 range per cupcake. That includes ingredient cost, labor cost, and overhead. Most of the cost would be in labor (a reasonable hourly wage) and overhead, since in CA we are required to rent a commercial kitchen to legally sell food. If your state has a cottage food law and you meet the requirements to legally sell food made at home the price would probably be lower.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 7:35pm
post #5 of 14

I would probably charge $3 or $3.50 each...the toppers look really complicated, but it's really a bunch of cutouts and simple flowers that shouldn't be that time consuming, just grouped together to look complicated.

ABelle Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 7:49pm
post #6 of 14

That's what I was thinking about the toppers, they should be fairly easy since they are mostly cutouts...she said something about having silk daisy's on them..

shuswapcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shuswapcakes Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 2:17am
post #7 of 14

I would charge at least around $3.50 per cupcake. She's going to spend at least that on a cake. Like the previous poster said, it looks mostly like cut outs and once you get into a rythm of things it will probably go faster. I charge $1.99 for a regular cupcake, which is a cupcake made from scratch, usually buttercream icing and sometimes a small candy topper. Anything that involves fondant and detailed work I always charge double. You have to make it worth it for you. Let us know how it goes!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 2:19am
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I would probably charge $3 or $3.50 each...the toppers look really complicated, but it's really a bunch of cutouts and simple flowers that shouldn't be that time consuming, just grouped together to look complicated.

That's the best kind of product from a profitability standpoint -- something that looks really complicated but is simple to make. icon_smile.gif

brown_suga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brown_suga Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 2:43am
post #9 of 14

I would charge about $3.50 per cupcake. $4.00 may be stretching it but depending on where you live you may be able to quote that price.

JessiesCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessiesCreations Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 2:44am
post #10 of 14

Those cupcakes have alot going on, I would charge no less than 3.50 per cupcake.

ABelle Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 3:00am
post #11 of 14

I live in nowhere Missouri lol that's why it's so hard to price things at times...people around here think they should get a 3 tiered wedding cake for $150. Just the way people are around here....some people understand how much time goes into things some people don't...

Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 5:24pm
post #12 of 14

id say 3.00ish a cupcake... more or less depending on where you are

Cakeuhlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeuhlicious Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 5:33pm
post #13 of 14

Where I live (my specific city), a standard sized cupcake with a swirl of icing on it is typically $2.75 - $3.00 each, depending on the bakery, usually with a discount for high quantity orders. For something that has to be individually cut and assembled like those, I would def. increase that to somewhere in the realm of $4.00, give or take. I live in NW US.

SweetBakesOfMine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetBakesOfMine Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 11:40pm
post #14 of 14

For that kind of detail work......i would charge $30 to $35 a dozen. That's A LOT of detailed work! Especially making those roses and other flowers. I'm making these for a sweet 15 party. I'm charging $25 a dozen. I have to make 180 of these!!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/decorada/3985356293/in/faves-nursegreeneyes/

Good Luck!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%