Cake Boards?

Decorating By Amersroyal Updated 7 Jul 2011 , 10:24pm by threeforhim

Amersroyal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amersroyal Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 5:06pm
post #1 of 6

Can anyone tell me if Particle Board would be durable for a one tier cake? I am making a turntable for a grooms cake and need something durable and big enough to hold the turntable style cake (ie: length and what not). Thanks!

5 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 6

I'd use plywood. Particle board warps when it gets wet or with too much moisture.

CAC74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAC74 Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 6

Is plywood durable enough for a 3 tier cake? I'm making my first 3 tier cake this weekend and not sure what I should put it on. Also, how do you cover it?

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 9:24pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAC74

Is plywood durable enough for a 3 tier cake? I'm making my first 3 tier cake this weekend and not sure what I should put it on. Also, how do you cover it?

Yes. You could use a cake drum or plywood covered in fanci foil.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 10:01pm
post #5 of 6

Just the fact that it's plywood or particle board isn't enough. It's the thickness of the wood that helps.
Plywood is *very!* sturdy. Particle board can be if thick enough and well covered. One way to cover them is w/plastic tableclothes. I used staples to hold the tablecloth on. That's not a problem because the staples are on the underneath side of the board so won't interfere w/serving. And usually I used a staple gun rather than a standard, office type stapler. They are thicker and hold better.

threeforhim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
threeforhim Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 10:24pm
post #6 of 6

I use MDF a lot for my cake boards. I buy a 4 x 8 sheet and my husband (or me if he is gone) cuts whatever size I need. That way I can make it whatever size or shape I want. It lasts a very long time and is cheap. The last time I needed some I had to go to my local lumber yard and they were out. I purchased some sort of plywood or particle board (yes, I know the difference). It's worked just as well. I always get 5/8 inch thick.I cover them usually in one of two ways: I wrap paper over it with plastic over the top then glue it with a glue stick on the bottom. No glue on top. The other thing I do is cover it with fondant. Either way it gets ribbon around the edge. Since it's 5/8 inch thick I usually find lots of ribbon to coordinate with the cake color/design.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%