Wire Butterflies

Decorating By rocky5777 Updated 18 Jul 2011 , 5:02pm by AnotherCaker

rocky5777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocky5777 Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 8

I started making the butterflies for this cake, and am threading the wire through the center. It doesn't seem to be working well, In order to get the wire through without tearing the butterflies have to be super thick. I do not like the look.

What is the best way to attach these butterflies to wire?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-3UEY2HviO0I/TV88Nj_IfBI/AAAAAAAAR4Q/vnvWrVLzMns/s1600/chrystal+b-s.l.ss.butterfly+wedding.jpg

7 replies
Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 8

What I do is poke a tiny hole in the center of the butterfly before drying. Then I roll a small butterfly body between my fingers (gumpaste) and insert a small hooked wire. When both are separately dry I paint a small amount of piping gel or royal on the butterfly, then thread the wire through the hole and dry both pieces upsidedown to stick together.

That's how I do it, I haven't had luck with just inserting the wire directly into the butterfly piece either, this works for me.

HTH Laurie

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 2:18am
post #3 of 8

Those don't look like they are on wires.

But when I did a cake with butterflies on wire, I made the butterfly and let iy dry, then I stuck a hooked wire to it with a line of royal on the bottom.

Jmlpitbull Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jmlpitbull Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 3:46am
post #4 of 8

Make your butterflies and let them dry, then heat the end of your wire that you want to go in your butterfly with a lighter till it's black. Stick that in your Gumpaste and it won't go anywhere after it cools.

mckaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckaren Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 7:11am
post #5 of 8

If you're using a plunger cutter, stick the hooked wire into a small, sausage shaped body (shorter than the centre of the cutter) and then cut out your butterfly. Place the body in the centre of the wings and press with the plunger. The body will stick to the thin wings and the wire will be secure.

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

rocky5777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocky5777 Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 3:37pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Quote:

How would they stick without a wire?

Ok, So I think I am just having bad luck with this butterfly thing,
I tried the insert the wire thing, but the butterflies are to think to look right,
I tried the Royal icing thing, and it worked but when i went to shimmer them, they started rotating in a circle and wouldn't stay put in the angle I wanted them.
I admit I didn't try the small whole in the bottom first. But I am just frustrated, these butterflies have to be done tonight. and Right now I have some beautiful, decorated butterflies not on wires.

I know this is not edible, but I was considering a low heat hot glue gone, to attach the wires to the back. No one will be eating them anyway. What is your opinion on this/

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 11:35pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky5777

Quote:
Quote:

How would they stick without a wire?

Ok, So I think I am just having bad luck with this butterfly thing,
I tried the insert the wire thing, but the butterflies are to think to look right,
I tried the Royal icing thing, and it worked but when i went to shimmer them, they started rotating in a circle and wouldn't stay put in the angle I wanted them.
I admit I didn't try the small whole in the bottom first. But I am just frustrated, these butterflies have to be done tonight. and Right now I have some beautiful, decorated butterflies not on wires.

I know this is not edible, but I was considering a low heat hot glue gone, to attach the wires to the back. No one will be eating them anyway. What is your opinion on this/

You could just stick them to the cake with white chocolate.

AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 5:02pm
post #8 of 8

Ok if you are talking about achieving that exact same look (as the picture you attached), you don't need wires. Those butterflies are just cut out, dried, and glued on with either some tylose water, chocolate, ri, buttercream or something else.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%