Drying Gumpaste Feathers

Decorating By Loloface Updated 7 Jul 2011 , 2:50pm by Ursula40

Loloface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loloface Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 9:24am
post #1 of 5

I'm making peacock feathers out of a 50/50 mix of fondant and gumpaste. They are going on a 4 tier wedding cake, and need to cascade down one side of the four tiers (looking like a peacock's tail) I tried drying my first batch on a set of flower formers, but they ended up being too curved, leaving me very little room for attaching them to the cake later on.

I have another batch drying them on the counter top right now. I'm worried that the flat ones are going to look odd on the edges of the tiers, since they will be flat, and the edge of the cake is like a corner of sorts. I would like it to look more flowing rather than a set of stairs that look like peacock feathers. But I know how fragile thin gumpaste can be, so I want as little handling with them as possible

My question is, does anyone have a suggestion on what I should be drying them on so I'm able to attach them to the sides of my cake securely, but so that they like a little more realistic? or so that I don't have to worry about layering them a with specific feathers dried in the shape just for the corners?

I know that's a lot to process, but thanks in advance

thumbs_up.gif

4 replies
cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 10:45am
post #2 of 5

Why don't you dry them on cake dummies the size and shape of the cake you will be putting them on?

JuliSchulze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuliSchulze Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 11:02am
post #3 of 5

You could also try using an upside down cake pan if you don't have a cake dummy. I would also use tissue paper or foil under the ends so that they don't dry with that much of an angle.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 5

Do they have to be dried? I have used gumpaste on cake quite fresh, not completely dried and have also coloured and dusted them when a bit soft. Works best on a 50/50 mix than complete gumpaste.

that way you shape them on the cake itself, you just have to get up earlier than normal

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 2:50pm
post #5 of 5

Do they have to be dried? I have used gumpaste on cake quite fresh, not completely dried and have also coloured and dusted them when a bit soft. Works best on a 50/50 mix than complete gumpaste.

that way you shape them on the cake itself, you just have to get up earlier than normal

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%