Royal Icing As Dirty Icing?

Decorating By Cosima Updated 7 Jul 2011 , 12:46am by cakegrandma

Cosima Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cosima Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 11:47pm
post #1 of 4

Curious to know everyone's thoughts. I'm tired of the BC melting under the fondant and making it droop. I also want my corners to be crisp and NOT rounded. If I use buttercream it's all great after being refrigerated but then it seems to change the form as the day goes by. What are your thoughts on using RI for dirty icing prior to the application of the fondant?

Has anyone done this and if so was it successful?

3 replies
Serena4016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Serena4016 Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 12:14am
post #2 of 4

I don't think royal icing would be a good choice, in my opinion. First of all it does not really taste too good. I don't think it is meant to be used as an actual icing. It's more for making decorations because it dries so hard. How about ganache? Alot of people on here use ganache under their fondant. I've done it one time and it worked great. It tastes great and is much stiffer/firmer than buttercreme.

shebellas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebellas Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 12:20am
post #3 of 4

As a consumer I would NOT want RI under fondant. Most people don't eat the fontant (myself included - even if its MMF), I love the buttercream...I take joy in peeling away that little layer and hitting the jackpot of icing goodness.

As a decorator it seems like a possible good idea, but you chance the possibility of it breaking down from the moister in the cake. Maybe give it a shot on a test cake and see how it goes...

Good luck!

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 12:46am
post #4 of 4

I definitely would not use royal icing under fondant. If you don't want buttercream under it then use ganache. It worls we;; amd tastes great pm tp[ pf ot.
evelyn

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%