Magic Shell-Type Coating For Cake Balls/pops

Baking By LisainCali Updated 28 Sep 2011 , 3:13am by paconot

LisainCali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisainCali Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 7:59pm
post #1 of 8

So sorry if this has been addressed before, but I am new to this site and have read quite a few complete threads on cake balls and pops. And, of course gourmet Flavors. But am only on page 25-40 on the longest threads!

I used the Bakerella recipe about a year ago and tossed everything out. Too sweet, bad chemical aftertaste and, as I now know, waaaaay too much canned frosting. Blecch!

I just tried 2 different cake pops at Starbucks and don't like those either. They are too mushy. Homemade frosting, a doctored cake mix and a hard chocolate shell with some "crunch" to it will make me happy!

Is tempered chocolate what I am looking for? I think S'bucks uses fondant, which is why there is no texture. Yes?

I'd like the crunch of a Magic Shell or of candy (sees) at room temp. Any suggestions?

7 replies
stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 8:25pm
post #2 of 8

If you are looking for that crisp shell that snaps when you bite into it, then definitely do tempered chocolate. I'm pretty sure that Starbucks uses candy, not chocolate, and they come in frozen, so that's no good for the texture. Hopefully the tempered chocolate will do the trick!

LisainCali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisainCali Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 1:06pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks so much! Starbucks uses fondant, I'm guessing, and too much frosting like I did originally. I definitely like more texture than what they are have.

PTBUGZY1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTBUGZY1 Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 1:50pm
post #4 of 8

I use 'candy coating' (some call it bark) for my cake pops, I buy it from my local grocery store. It holds up so much better than chocolate (esp where I live), gives my pops a nice shell, tastes good and is cheaper than choc chips.

I use homemade buttercream and sometimes fruit fillings as my binder. I think anything goes when it comes to cake pops. HTH

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 1:53pm
post #5 of 8

If you use Merckens or Guittard A'Peels (both are confectionary coatings, but taste and perform waaaaaay better than the Wilton Candy Melts) you will get the effect of See's chocolate at room temperature. You can purchase these online or at specialty cake supply stores. I suggest you purchase a small quantity and try them out and you'll be very happy with the results.

Also, on the Wilton.com discussion forums, there has been a lot of talk recently about the BabyCakes Cake Pop machine (http://thebabycakesshop.com/products/cake-pop-makers/cp-12). This makes a cake version of donut holes.

Jenniferc03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenniferc03 Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 6:41pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

If you use Merckens or Guittard A'Peels (both are confectionary coatings, but taste and perform waaaaaay better than the Wilton Candy Melts) you will get the effect of See's chocolate at room temperature. You can purchase these online or at specialty cake supply stores. I suggest you purchase a small quantity and try them out and you'll be very happy with the results.

Also, on the Wilton.com discussion forums, there has been a lot of talk recently about the BabyCakes Cake Pop machine (http://thebabycakesshop.com/products/cake-pop-makers/cp-12). This makes a cake version of donut holes.

My kids liked the idea of cake pops..but no one in the family ever liked the consistancy of cake pops. I saw the BabyCakes Cake Pop maching on sale at Kohls and picked it up to try. It's super easy and you can use any cake mix. I then dip them in melted chocolate. I like them basic...my kids like them rolled in crunched up candybars icon_smile.gif

amaryllis756 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaryllis756 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 10:40am
post #7 of 8

I use the Wilton Candy Coatings for my cake pops. They come in many different colors, some are even flavored. It does give the crunch that you are looking for because it hardens as it dries. The kids at school are crazy for them. You can get them at Micheals or Hobby Lobby, I think even walmart has a few colors! icon_biggrin.gif

paconot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paconot Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 3:13am
post #8 of 8

The cake pop machine is okay for a kid friendly treat, but I run a catering service and would never use it for an event. I would recommend using a dense homemade cake batter to start with like a pound cake. Then you can add flavoring like lemon zest, coconut etc. to moisten it to your desired texture.

I also add white or semi-sweet chocolate instead of frosting. It is less sweet and still flavorful. And I only use high quality chocolate (never toll house etc.) Callebaut is my favorite brand for white chocolate, Valrhona and other brands works best for tempering. I also use the better grad coating chocolate, which never needs tempering and makes your cake balls look perfect.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%