Some People Just Have No Idea What A Cake Costs!

Decorating By kearniesue Updated 6 Jul 2011 , 12:53pm by pinkpiggie78

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 2:05am
post #1 of 7

So I got a call tonight for a 4 tier cake for July 16th (things fell through with their original baker). Granted, they wanted basic BC with silk flowers, but they wanted it for under $200! I'm not staying up late to sqeeze that in for $200!

People really don't have any idea what it takes to make a cake.

Karen

6 replies
LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 2:39am
post #2 of 7

It's not that they have no idea what a cake costs, they have no idea what your time is worth. Big difference. You are not only selling an edible dessert, you are selling your services to make it a beautiful cake.

fedra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fedra Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 2:42am
post #3 of 7

The type of cake they are requesting, IMHO, seems feasible as a rush order for July 16th HOWEVER only wanting to pay $200 seems down right inconsiderate!! If they would of agreed to pay my asking price then maybe I wouldn't charge the rush order charge (given their situation w/the baker) but geeezzzz....
Fedra

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 3:16am
post #4 of 7

I totally understand. Its beyond frustrating. You just want to shake them and say are you kidding me? Atleast they offered $200, I have read people on here only being offered $40 or $50. LOL

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 3:54am
post #5 of 7

It is very expensive sometimes! Especially if you end up making a whole wedding cake out of scratch pound cake or something....or other dense battered cakes.... you can end up paying over $100 out of pocket just to do a medium sized four tier wedding cake.

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 12:29pm
post #6 of 7

It would be simple enough to do, but I have a full time job as well, and I have another 4 tier cake scheduled for that day. I would do it for them with no problem, but I would expect them to pay a resonable price for it. I think the whole issue with this is that the previous baker was WAY undercharging...

Oh well, we'll see if they call me back. If not, no great loss and I'll actually be able to sleep next week. icon_wink.gif

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 12:53pm
post #7 of 7

A lot of times these last minute "the baker" fell through cakes were going to be done by family members, friends or the lady at the church and they back out last minute.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%