What Is A Good Price?

Decorating By Leahmaria7981 Updated 5 Jul 2011 , 10:13pm by SarahL4683

Leahmaria7981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leahmaria7981 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 7

I have someone asking me to do these cakes and I have no idea what to charge at all. I normally don't get to do these kinds of cakes often (although I much prefer them) so I have no idea. What do you think?

This is the first one. It would be a double layer 9 inch, although she said she might just want a single layer. If I go by $1.50 a serving and add 50 cents per serving for fondant it would be $44 for a double layer or $22 for a single. What would you charge?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thecakebatter/4310143135/

Then there is this cake

It will be carved using an 11 X 15. I'm going to assume it would feed about 30, so that would be $60 as a base price, then extra for detail or what? I have no idea. My hubby and family are always telling me I don't charge enough for my cakes, so I'm trying to start going by a price list. Normally I would charge less for these, but maybe they are right? I don't know...what do you think?

6 replies
Leahmaria7981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leahmaria7981 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 7

Oops. here is the other cake...

Well, I can't get it to attach, but here's a link to a youtube video she sent me...

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 7

I totally agree with your husband and family regarding theses cakes anyway, I know sometimes I undercharge as wel,l but by lookingat the first cake it would be at least $75.00 and the car forget that but I would be charging at least $180 or better depending how big it is gonna be. there is a posst in here some where that people were putting their cakes on and letting others know what they charged, try to find it real quick but couldn't, sorry but maybe that would help you to see what others are doing.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 9:26pm
post #4 of 7

For the first cake, 9" round, 4" tall serves 32, times $4 for fondant = $128 plus $10 for the letter and $20 for the bow. $158 pickup, no delivery on anything that small.

I wouldn't do the second one at all, since its copyrighted.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 9:40pm
post #6 of 7

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-694973-pricing.html

Have you seen the above thread? You really need to have a good idea on what it is costing you before you you can even begin to price a cake.

To me, $2 a serving for buttercream is LOW, and I really don't think anyone should go under that, because I can't see how you can even cover supplies with that.

For the 9in double layer in fondant with fondant decorations I would charge $128. ($4 a serving with 32 servings)

If she needed less servings I'd go with a smaller cake, but I don't really do basic shapes single layered. If you did that 9in would only serve 16. If it was me, I'd offer her a 8in at $96 or the 9in at $128. No single layers, unless it's a sheet cake.

As far as the car cake, an 11x15 sing layer serves about 36. I'd probably price it at at least $140 to $150. Of course you want to look into the copyrights on that car.

SarahL4683 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahL4683 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 10:13pm
post #7 of 7

I agree with your fam, you're REALLY undercharging. You need to make sure you're covering your ingredients, supplies, time, AND making a profit. How much do you think your time is worth? Check out some of your competitors (not the local supermarket) and see what the standard pricing is in your area. I've been guilty of under-pricing on several occasions, but you're giving your cakes away!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%