Before I Totally Give Up.....

Baking By FACSlady Updated 8 Jul 2011 , 2:22am by shuswapcakes

FACSlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FACSlady Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 6

How the heck do you keep the cones on ice cream cone cupcakes from getting soft so quickly? I've tried two different cake recipes plus a box mix, but within an hour or so they are no longer crisp. I don't want to serve them like that, so I've abandoned each attempt. Help!

5 replies
Jenniferc03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenniferc03 Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 7:43pm
post #2 of 6

How are you baking them now. I haven't made them in years, but the last time I did, I didn't put the cone in the cupcake until halfway thru the baking process. I don't recall them being soft at all?? (It would have been a boxed mix that I used...)

MamaDear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaDear Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 6

I had that problem too and so I started using the Liv Hansen/Betty Crocker Method where you put candy in the bottom to weight them down, put a mini cupcake and then a regular one in and then frost them. They aren't exactly the same but they do stand up a little better and you don't have to mess with trying to get them in and out of the oven.

Try this
http://www.howdini.com/howdini-video-7073599.html

I bake without the liners and sometimes I just put two of the small ones down into the cone with dollops of icing between and a bigger one on top rather than the candy.

Happy Caking.

DangerousCupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DangerousCupcake Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 6:23pm
post #4 of 6

I really loved this way of doing it, as I did have a few leftovers once and the cones weren't as firm as I'd like, and kids don't want mush. But, does anyone have any good suggestions on how to transport these? I recently did 2 dozen for a garden party and it was awful getting them from kitchen to customer. I also noticed they were getting knocked down on the display tray in her kitchen. They don't fit in the typical cupcake tiers, tried that too. Any ideas?

Jenniferc03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenniferc03 Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 6:36pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaDear

I had that problem too and so I started using the Liv Hansen/Betty Crocker Method where you put candy in the bottom to weight them down, put a mini cupcake and then a regular one in and then frost them. They aren't exactly the same but they do stand up a little better and you don't have to mess with trying to get them in and out of the oven.

Try this
http://www.howdini.com/howdini-video-7073599.html

I bake without the liners and sometimes I just put two of the small ones down into the cone with dollops of icing between and a bigger one on top rather than the candy.

Happy Caking.

Oh...I love that idea!

shuswapcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shuswapcakes Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 2:22am
post #6 of 6

What I've done in the past is instead of baking the cupcake inside of the ice cream cone (which always turns out to be one big mess for me!) I bake the cake in a regular cake pan, cool, then once I take it out I break into into a million pieces, kind of mush it all together and then I "stuff" the icecream cone with the cake dough and then ice it! It tastes great too thumbs_up.gif This seems to work out way better and you can control how big you want your ice cream cupcakes to be, depending on how high you stuff them - hope that makes sense! I wish I would have taken pictures, maybe next time! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%