Icing For Black Swirls On Wedding Cake

Baking By KimVan08 Updated 5 Jul 2011 , 6:08pm by SarahL4683

KimVan08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimVan08 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 4

Help! I'm looking for a recipe for the perfect icing needed to make black swirls and scroll on my daughters wedding cake. Has anyone tried anything other than Royal icing for this or is that my best option?

Thanks for the help! icon_smile.gif

3 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 5:33pm
post #2 of 4

If you're covering the cake in buttercream, the scrollwork can be piped on with buttercream also. If you're using fondant, you'll probably want to go with royal icing.

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 5:44pm
post #3 of 4

I agree with texasrose, start with a chocolate bc though so you don't have to add as much black, risking the color to bleed.

SarahL4683 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahL4683 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 4

I've done black scrollwork with both royal and BC, I agree that it depends what you're covering your cake with. If possible, start with chocoloate icing (I use hershey special dark cocoa powder because it gives a nice rich dark brown base) then add Americolor super black gel coloring. It's super concentrated so you don't have to use as much as some of the other brands. You can start with a white base, you'll just have to use more coloring, I add a little extra extract to balance it out if I can't start with a chocolate base.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%