Cake Pop Makers Please Help!!

Decorating By forheavenscake Updated 5 Jul 2011 , 4:37pm by dayna1205

forheavenscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forheavenscake Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 12:06pm
post #1 of 7

I am making my first batch of cake pops. . .so far so good actually (but I haven't gotten to the difficult parts yet LOL) I made the balls last night and have them in an airtight container. I will be decorating them probably Thursday and they are delivered on Saturday.

Are they going to be ok in that container (naked) until Thursday and then decorated until Saturday? Should I put them in the fridge until Saturday or are they just ok at room temperature??

I just want to make sure they'll still taste fresh on Saturday.

Also, if anyone has any tips for the actual dipping part that would be great! Never done it before and I"m worried about getting the swirly top from the chocolate instead of something smooth.

Thanks!!!

6 replies
nanefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanefy Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 12:40pm
post #2 of 7

I'd pop them in the freezer - that's what I do, then take them out and let them soften ever so slightly then dip them. Now that's only what I do, but I use real couveture chocolate and not candy melts and I have no cracking issues, but apparently it's different with candy melts, so someone else might need to jump in here and answer that.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 12:49pm
post #3 of 7

I would put them in the fridge or freezer, it will help keep them fresher although to be honest these things never go bad (although after a few weeks they will dehydrate and wrinkle up!). If I am making mine way ahead, I freeze, then put them in the fridge to defrost. I dip with they are fridge cold. I use real chocolate tinted with candy colours and have never had problems with cracking. The only time I had cracking was when I used to use candy melts and dip when freezer cold or a few mins out the freezer.

If you want a smooth coating, and not the little whippy thing around the edge, dip your cake pop and hold it straight above the chocolate (ball end downwards!), tapping your wrist with the other hand to help the excess fall off. When nearly done, turn the pop the right way up and you should have no drip marks at all. This of course has to be done fairly quickly since your chocolate will harden fast if your pops are at the right temp. Use a deep container for your melted chocolate, this helps alot.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 12:50pm
post #4 of 7

I would put them in the fridge or freezer, it will help keep them fresher although to be honest these things never go bad (although after a few weeks they will dehydrate and wrinkle up!). If I am making mine way ahead, I freeze, then put them in the fridge to defrost. I dip with they are fridge cold. I use real chocolate tinted with candy colours and have never had problems with cracking. The only time I had cracking was when I used to use candy melts and dip when freezer cold or a few mins out the freezer.

If you want a smooth coating, and not the little whippy thing around the edge, dip your cake pop and hold it straight above the chocolate (ball end downwards!), tapping your wrist with the other hand to help the excess fall off. When nearly done, turn the pop the right way up and you should have no drip marks at all. This of course has to be done fairly quickly since your chocolate will harden fast if your pops are at the right temp. Use a deep container for your melted chocolate, this helps alot.

forheavenscake Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 12:59pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you for the advice! I will put them in the freezer for now and then maybe tomorrow afternoon switch them to the fridge, then I'll dip them on Thursday. That should be ok right??

I am dipping with Almond Bark. . .anyone have cracking problems with that? I"m not crazy about the taste of candy melts, so I wanted something a little more yummy!

Thanks again!

forheavenscake Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 1:01pm
post #6 of 7

Oh sorry. . .one more question. After I dip and decorate them on thursday. ..what should I do then? Just wrap them (cello bags) and put them in my display and they'll be fine until Saturday? Or should I put the final product back in the fridge?

dayna1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dayna1205 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 4:37pm
post #7 of 7

I would keep them frozen until about an hour before you dip them. If they get too soft they will be hard to dip. I also use almond bark, they will only crack if they are right out of the freezer then dipped in the hot almond bark. You can dip them then freeze again until you are ready to eat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%