Baking Related Question This Time...

Baking By MsInterpret Updated 6 Jul 2011 , 1:09am by scp1127

MsInterpret Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsInterpret Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 4:40am
post #1 of 15

Okay I keep thinking of things, sorry!

The cake I want to make is a "lemon raspberry yogurt" cake. However, I would really like to make it with blackberries instead as my spouse doesn't like raspberry too much. I am concerned though, since blackberries are so "big", that when they bake they will be too heavy or make big wet spots (like if you have ever had a blueberry muffin with a BUNCH of blueberries in one spot)... is that making any sense? I don't want anything messing up the cake texture and making any problems for me in the decorating and stacking process.

Do you think blackberries will be okay in the batter as a sub for raspberries? Or maybe I could just make the lemon cake by itself, then add blackberries in the middle with the filling after baking? Or blackberry preserves? I was planning on a filling (lemon) using a recipe I saw here on this site.

Thanks again!

14 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 4:50am
post #2 of 15

I think the sub will be fine. Just dry the berries and sprinkle with a little flour. You can always pour in 3/4 of the batter, add berries, and cover with the rest of the batter. But I don't think that is necessary unless your batter is very thin. But this way, you won't have clumps.

By the way, the most requested item I make are my blueberry muffins. People can't understand how it stays together with so many blueberries. So don't worry about it.

teresamariegross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teresamariegross Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 5:10am
post #3 of 15

I puree and drain them and use the pulp in my cake. Blackberries have big seeds and they are odd to eat a bite of cake and hit seeds.

scp1127 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 5:47am
post #4 of 15

I make a blackberry roll from a one hundred year old family recipe and I love the seeds and the whole fresh berry. Not trying to contradict teresa, but like your husband, I love blackberries.

teresamariegross Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 5:50am
post #5 of 15

it's ok. The one thing I like about the forum is all the different ways people have made things and the help you get to improve and make things that work. I hope it works no matter which way you make it. I love anything blackberry myself.

teresamariegross Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 5:51am
post #6 of 15

Hey, Will you share the 100 year old recipe. I love trying old recipes

scp1127 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 5:51am
post #7 of 15

I love those crunchy little seeds, but I am sure not everyone shares this love.

scp1127 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 6:06am
post #8 of 15

Sure I'll share. I'll get it and post it. My great grandmother taught me this recipe when I was about six years old. She never had a recipe, so she would show me by feel. I wrote down every word and described the feel of the dough. Later in life, I made this recipe and tried to get the exact measurements so that I could pass it on to my children.

This recipe has a thick sugar dough. The result is a rustic roll that can break a little, but the taste is so earthy and historic. She always poured hot milk with sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg, over the individual slices. You must try the hot milk mixture... it just won't be the same.

I'm going to look for it, but sometimes my computer cuts off for no reason, so I'll be back with the recipe.

scp1127 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 7:01am
post #9 of 15

Blackberry Roll

2c flour
2tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp for top of crust, 1 tbsp in dough
5 tbsp shortening
2/3 to 3/4 c milk

Filling:
6 c berries
If you want to use less berries, cut the sugar accordingly. Ex: 3 c berries, 3/4 c sugar; 4 c berries, 1 c sugar (it comes out to 25%)
1 1/2 c sugar (for 6 c) see above
2 tbsp butter, melted
3 tbsp flour

Don't make this dough in a processor. It is supposed to be bumpy and rustic. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Sift dry ingredients. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender. Add enough milk to make a rustic dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead a few times and roll out to about 1/3 to 1/2 inches in a rectangle. Brush with 1 tbsp melted butter. Sprinkle with the correct ratio of sugar to berries, according to how you like it. Roll up, seam down, and pinch ends together. Place on a well-greased parchment on a rimmed cookie sheet. This crust will crack, but don't worry. Just pinch the crack together. Brush with remaining butter and sprinkle with 2 tbsp sugar. Place in oven and reduce temperature to 400 degrees. Cover, if needed, during baking. Bake for 30 minutes.

Be sure to serve with the hot milk mixture in the previous post. It contains the spices. Just season to taste with sugar, vanilla, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Just pour it on top of the individual slices.

Boy, this was tough to write. I just have a bunch of graphs with the right amount of each ingredient circled. All of my recipes look more like a lab experiment.

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 7:17am
post #10 of 15

thanks for the recioe , cant wait to try it .

scp1127 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 7:23am
post #11 of 15

Your welcome.

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 9:42am
post #12 of 15

To the OP if you are concerned the blackberries will be too big could you cut the largest ones in half? Personally I wouldn't think it should be a problem but my love of blackberries might be colouring my opinion!

Scp1127 - your grate-gradmother's recipe sounds delicious!

scp1127 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 4:33pm
post #13 of 15

Jennifer, it is!

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 11:14pm
post #14 of 15

Yum! Printing now. My husband LOVES blackberries. Maybe I'll be nice tomorrow!

scp1127 Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 1:09am
post #15 of 15

Make that dough only 1/3 inches. 1/2 may be too much. I was eyeballing it from memory.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%