Frozen Cake

Decorating By JillyPlot Updated 5 Jul 2011 , 1:04pm by JillyPlot

JillyPlot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JillyPlot Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 5:11pm
post #1 of 5

I've searched and read quite a few posts on freezing cakes before posting to ask this... I froze my cake for Father's Day and wanted to ice it while frozen, however, I wasn't able to cut the frozen cake with the cake leveler. (I'm HORRIBLE at cutting even layers with a knife.) Does anyone have any suggestions about this? Would it work to cut my layers before freezing?

4 replies
smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 5

I do not ever freeze my cakes. I will put them in the freezer for a little while to firm up to carve or set icing.

you will need to allow the cake to come to room temp and sweat out before you cut it or it will turn gooey or be too hard to trim.

But that is just my preference. I only sell fresh cake. Some do it and have no problems.

Stephanie

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 7:03pm
post #3 of 5

Yes, you can cut your layer (level and torte) before freezing, but you should let the cake cool completely before you do so.

PeacocksStopBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PeacocksStopBakery Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 7:17pm
post #4 of 5

We always freeze our cakes but we let them cool and then level them, sometimes we even put a crumb coat on first. Then you can thaw out the cake in the fridge or countertop. Let it sweat before you ice it or you'll have problems with your icing bleeding.

JillyPlot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JillyPlot Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 1:04pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%