What Would Your Transportation Method Be??

Decorating By Bettyviolet101 Updated 5 Jul 2011 , 6:09am by Bettyviolet101

Bettyviolet101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettyviolet101 Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 6:04am
post #1 of 10

I will be doing a 3 tier wedding cake in about 2 weeks. Its a 6,8, and 10 in fondant cake. It also has draping on it from top to bottom. As far as I can see I have two choices but not sure which is best. 1. I put it all together at home using the sps system or something an pray really hard and 2. Stack it at the church and figure out a way to have the draping ready to put on or find a place in the church kitchen to roll and cut the draping and put it on there. I have delivered 1 cake this big and it was not too bad but it was NOT a wedding. What would you guys do in this situation?

9 replies
teresamariegross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teresamariegross Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 6:23am
post #2 of 10

No bigger then it is I would put it together well with dowels etc and move it in one piece. I think it would take too much finish work at the site. If it were a huge cake I might think differently but it is smaller

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 6:41am
post #3 of 10

i guess it depends on how far you are traveling with it and how hot it will be when you move it. If it were well chilled and stacked on SPS, and on a shortish drive with a good road, then i'd say go for it stacked.

Most all of my 3+ tiers have had to go for 4+ hours in the car across So. AZ, so I have stacked on site, but still using SPS because it makes stacking a breeze.

i think that you could right before you leave, roll and seal up the swags in a container and take them to apply on site. the last wedding cake i did (with the purple flowers), i did the ribbon and applied the flowers one it was stacked in the room (which i'm so glad i had separate because i had to walk it up three floors in a historic hotel to the reception room!).

good luck with it!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 2:03pm
post #4 of 10

For a small cake like this, you can prestack with SPS. Then as the PP sated, right before you leave, roll out the swags and sandwich them between some vinyl strips and go. Purchase the vinyl by the yard at a fabric store. Mine's clear. Then fold and applythe swags at the venue.

At least this is what I do.

Bettyviolet101 Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 3:44pm
post #5 of 10

Very interesting. So that brings up another question. When you do swags do you guys do more than on or just one long one. I am thinking more than one would be much easier. I did one and I did it all in one piece and while it was not horrible, a separate one for each tier probably would have saved a lot of headache. I am thinking I will take it stacked. Now i just have to figure out this SPS stuff!!!!

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 6:31pm
post #6 of 10

I would do it all at home, but that is me. I have transported cakes with swags without any problems. I do deliver my cakes cold and i would glue the tiers together with a bit of icing. Fondant can get slippery

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 6:55pm
post #7 of 10

I never stack on site unless its something really crazy that I have no choice. Because stacking on site often requires decorating on site and that's not something I want to do.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 9:20pm
post #8 of 10

I did a four tier with swags with SPS. Traveled about 40 min. I completed everything before leaving home, then put it on a nonslip liner in the back of my van, and let my husband drive while I prayed!!!
It was perfect (or at least just as it was when I left home!)

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1467733

Jess155 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess155 Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 12:10am
post #9 of 10

I did a 6 tier with SPS traveled about 30 min on hills. It was perfect! Heavy, but perfect. I agree with the other posters about the swags on site.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2065811

Bettyviolet101 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 6:09am
post #10 of 10

Those are both beautful cakes!! If those made it I am sure my 3 tier cake with 20 min transport will be fine. I also deliver mine cold so it should work great! Thank you all very much!!! icon_smile.gif The only ones I have stacked on site are ones that the giant parties were at my moms house. Lol then I have my dad to help me with structure stuff if need be and I have everything I would need at my fingertips. Other than that it would make me nervous especially if I forgot something!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%