Renting Certified Kitchen

Business By cindy1952 Updated 3 Jul 2011 , 1:31pm by bakingpw

cindy1952 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy1952 Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 2

started making cakes for family and freinds, word gets around and people want to pay me! TN does have a cottage baking law, but I have pets, so can't get permit. Any ideas on how to approach local businesses on renting or bartering space? There are several places very close to my house that would work. Thanks!

1 reply
bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 1:31pm
post #2 of 2

When I was first getting started, I noticed a caterer's kitchen nearby my home. I went and introduced myself and basically asked him if he'd be interested in a "shared space". He was, so I went home and developed a plan. We split the kitchen so I had my work space, I shared his equipment and he used mine. I paid 1/2 the expenses. I held my own Food Permit and insurance as well. It wasn't ideal working "with" someone else because he was MESSY and I'm a neat freak, but it was a start. After I developed a customer base, I got my own retail space.

I would think in this economy many might be looking to share expenses. Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%