Please Help Me Choose The Right Printer For Edible Images.

Decorating By dorothymarie Updated 22 Jul 2011 , 3:19pm by icingimages

dorothymarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorothymarie Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 38

I want to purchase an edible image printer and supples. On icingimages.com the Gold Label Printer Package with the Canon IP3600 bubble-jet printer is $429. That same printer from Amazon is $69.98. Is there a difference in the printer if it is going to be used with icing sheets? I can't figure out why there is such a huge price difference. I want to buy the correct one.
Is the MP560 better? I will hook up to my computer.

37 replies
dorothymarie Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 38

Anyone?

lenagc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lenagc Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 38

I purchased that same printer from Icingimages and I am so happy I did, I hesitated only because of the price, but it has proven to be a wonderful asset. I used to have so much trouble with my old printer, I would spend half the day trying to get a good picture, now with the canon I am worry free. The pictures all come out beautifully and customer service is marvelous. I would say spend the extra money, get a guarantee and relieve your mind. I have no worries I just print. One happy customer here. Call them at Icingimages and they will walk you through as to which one is best for what you need they are wonderful. No pressure either.
Helen

LadyJay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyJay Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 8:17pm
post #4 of 38

I am also in the market for a good edible ink printer- so this cannon is the way to go huh? I don't mind spending the money if it is a good product..

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 8:40pm
post #5 of 38

I purchased the canon MP560 on amazon and got mygold label ink cartridges and frosting sheets from icingimages. I'm very happy with my printer and the customer service from icingimages is the best you'll get anywhere.

LadyJay Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 2:50am
post #6 of 38

Can I ask how mich the mp560'is?

tiggy2 Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 11:05am
post #7 of 38

I think I paid about $80. You'll have to check amazon and ebay. Just be sure you get one that has never been used with regular ink.

LadyJay Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 11:36am
post #8 of 38

I will check it out and make sure I get a brand née one...also have to see if either if these are compatible with Mac. Thanks so much!

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 2:07pm
post #9 of 38

Purchasing the printer through us gives you the one year warranty and supplies. It is cheaper not to go through our company to purchase the printer, but....no one year warranty. While canon is required to help you with your printer whether you use inks they do not always and it can be problematic. We are stocking it for sale on Monday. You may be able to order it this weekend, if not for sure on Monday. Canon MG5220 replaces the canon mp560. So far we have noticed that it is a faster printer!

SAHCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SAHCaker Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 2:44pm
post #10 of 38

I did not get a "package" because it was just outrageously over priced. I got the Canon MP560 from amazon brand new (it must be brand new to be used for edible printing) and it works great for me. It's very simple to use. I have not had any clogging thus far (hopefully I have not jinxed myself). I have read that it's helpful to at least run it once a week so that the ink does not dry out. I got the ink from Print Country for $79.95 when they offered free shipping because shipping can cost so much for such small, light cartridges but they no longer offer edible ink. I get my wafer paper from another source.

LadyJay Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 3:15pm
post #11 of 38

thanks so much everyone! Just spoke to Icing Images and although I will buy the printer elsewhere- I plan to buy ALL OF MY SUPPLIES from them- hands down the best customer service ever, and that to me is worth its weight in gold. Can't wait to get up and running-- will be ordering my ink on Monday! I appreciate everyone's help icon_surprised.gif)

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 11:09am
post #12 of 38

I haven't bought a printer yet, but when I do, it will be from Icing Images! They respond fast to questions, great selection of printing paper items and its great to have the option to buy a package because I would be starting from nothing!
Happy Printing!
Jodi

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 12:12pm
post #13 of 38

I am partial to the epson printers myself. I have had both canon and epson and I have been more satisfied with the epson.
I purchased a brand new printer from epson and filled and made my own cartridges. I buy a set food inks to fit the epson model. I then refill when needed. I have had diffrent models as long as the ink cartridge fits. Sometimes the model you have will need a chip resetter to reuse the cartridge.
The canon to me seemed like it clogged all the time. I have a epson and have had great results.
I am one of those crafty do it your self kind of people. I like challenges. I thought I can do this on my own and save$$$. It works.
Good luck. I love making cakes with edible images.

LadyJay Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 12:19pm
post #14 of 38

I am so excited to get up and running. Ordered the canon, so hopefully it is good. It was a great price. Now I will stock the shelves with supplies and start learning how to use everything!

dulce925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dulce925 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 12:52pm
post #15 of 38

I recently purchased the CanonMG5220 at Office Depot and paid $120 with a 2 year warranty. I got 2 sets of edible ink for about $58 online. I love my new printer. I hope you find one you'll love as well.

icingimages Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 1:47pm
post #16 of 38

The epson came on the market about 5 years ago in edibles when canon started putting chips on cartridges essentially giving them a little bit of a brain. I have always been a canon girl because of the removable printhead. This allows for easy cleaning. While I like the epson, my job is to break them and then get them to run again. I found the Epson too easy to break and too hard to fix. Clogging depends a lot on the ink and how long you let the printer set. IN the last few years, we have come out with a newer type of cartridge. It is sponge free and uses a food grade plastic to house the ink. The advantage to this cartridge is that there is no sponge in the tank. The sponge takes up about 60% of the space in the cartridge and can also harbor bacteria since it sits in a dark enclosed area in the printer Oh, and they can be refilled directly in the printer. Until the recent years, all cartridges were the same...now there are a few more choices. Some ink manufacturers have kept things the same while others look for better options, making what use to be a frustration point, a solution. I have one store in particular that uses both the canon and the epson side by side. They love both printers and found each have their advantages, but I will tell you, their epsons get replaced more often and have more problems. I sell two canons and one epson in our line of printers, but I caution all those who chose the epson about its reliability. We sell that printer only because it handles the wide format. Canon's answer to the wide format is just more cartridges. It is the workforce series and seems to me to be the hardiest of all brands. So keep in mind when choosing printers that you look at all the reviews, keeping in mind that peoples usage, and the ink that they use will make a difference. Always read the edible ink manufacturers recommendations. If you ever have any questions, whether you are my customer or not, please ask, I am not partial and probably have an answer for you! Enjoy!

dorothymarie Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 2:16pm
post #17 of 38

I can't justify the vast price difference for the printer. Paying an additional $400 is too much for the same printer. I did buy the ink and paper from icingimages. Where do you find ink and icing sheets for a better price or free shipping?

tiggy2 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 2:20pm
post #18 of 38

I've used ink from other suppliers and icingimages gold lable ink is superior IMO. I switched from an epson to a canon because of the chip resetting and because I wanted wireless. I refill my cartridges right in the printer in a matter of seconds. I've also experienced customer service from other suppliers and you won't find service like icingimages offers any where.

dorothymarie Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 2:23pm
post #19 of 38

.... I purchased a brand new printer from epson and filled and made my own cartridges. I buy a set food inks to fit the epson model. I then refill when needed. I have had diffrent models as long as the ink cartridge fits. Sometimes the model you have will need a chip resetter to reuse the cartridge.

Do you buy the edible refill inks to fill your empty cartridges? How many times can they be refilled?

tiggy2 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 2:23pm
post #20 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContestCook

I can't justify the vast price difference for the printer. Paying an additional $400 is too much for the same printer. I did buy the ink and paper from icingimages. Where do you find ink and icing sheets for a better price or free shipping?

As the saing goes "You get what you pay for". You might find it cheaper but you won't get the same quality. I've used other products and they aren't all the same. As far as the price of the printer, you need to break it down for everything that is included ie: ink, frosting sheets, etc.

tiggy2 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 2:27pm
post #21 of 38
Quote:

.... I purchased a brand new printer from epson and filled and made my own cartridges. I buy a set food inks to fit the epson model. I then refill when needed. I have had diffrent models as long as the ink cartridge fits. Sometimes the model you have will need a chip resetter to reuse the cartridge.

Do you buy the edible refill inks to fill your empty cartridges? How many times can they be refilled?

Do your cartridges have sponges in them? If so I would replace them at least once a year as bacteria can build up in the sponges. IMO chipped cartridges were a pain in the bu!!

dorothymarie Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 3:01pm
post #22 of 38

I did break down the price. Iciningimages has lowered the price since the beginning of this thread. Printer package is now $399. Ink and icing sheets total $116 if purchased separately so that make the printer $283 which is $200 higher than the exact same printer on Amazon. And Amazon offers free shipping and no tax. (Maybe icingimages buys their printers from Amazon.)

icingimages Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 4:00pm
post #23 of 38

I believe earlier in the post I explained that it is cheaper to purchase the printer separately and I believe I explained the differences. Some people want to have one stop shopping and the peace of mind knowing that they are covered if they need help. Stating that, we tend to try to help people where we can. You do get what you pay for. We work very hard at making sure our products excel. We tend to go above and beyond for our customers.
For the person who is making her own cartridges... That is tooo cool! More power to you but you do need to watch for bacteria as the cartridges age. No different than cleaning out your water bottle after repeated use.

dorothymarie Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 8:34pm
post #24 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleD

I am partial to the epson printers myself. I have had both canon and epson and I have been more satisfied with the epson.
I purchased a brand new printer from epson and filled and made my own cartridges. I buy a set food inks to fit the epson model. I then refill when needed. I have had diffrent models as long as the ink cartridge fits. Sometimes the model you have will need a chip resetter to reuse the cartridge.
The canon to me seemed like it clogged all the time. I have a epson and have had great results.
I am one of those crafty do it your self kind of people. I like challenges. I thought I can do this on my own and save$$$. It works.
Good luck. I love making cakes with edible images.

printcountry, how do you make the ink? I want to try it. PM me if you would rather. Thanks!

dorothymarie Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 8:42pm
post #25 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by icingimages

I believe earlier in the post I explained that it is cheaper to purchase the printer separately and I believe I explained the differences. Some people want to have one stop shopping and the peace of mind knowing that they are covered if they need help. Stating that, we tend to try to help people where we can. You do get what you pay for. We work very hard at making sure our products excel. We tend to go above and beyond for our customers.
For the person who is making her own cartridges... That is tooo cool! More power to you but you do need to watch for bacteria as the cartridges age. No different than cleaning out your water bottle after repeated use.

A person can buy 4 of the exact same printers plus the ink and icing sheets for the same price. And the printer has a two year warranty where icingimages offers a one year warranty. I don't see the logic.

icingimages Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 9:06pm
post #26 of 38

That's probably because your math is off. When you do have a problem, and I hope you never do, when you go to get it serviced under canons 1 year warranty, you will understand why it is that people purchase printers from us there are cheaper ways and often times cheaper is better and often times it is not. However licensed kitchens are tequired to use products that have been approved by the FDA and may need proper Kosher certification they cannot cut corners. We offer excellent products and excellent service. We sell printer kits and products allacart so people can decide what is beat for them. But in the end no matter where our customers purchase their printers from, the inks and papers they purchase from are of high quality and they receive a high level of support. We have been in business for 12 years and while we never claim to be perfect, we do the best we can to take care of our customers.

dorothymarie Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 9:37pm
post #27 of 38

No my math is not off. I am just giving accurate info. Not getting that high level of support here.

icingimages Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 9:42pm
post #28 of 38

Please feel free to contact me when you do need help. I will be here for you and be glad to help you.

tiggy2 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 11:29pm
post #29 of 38
Quote:

No my math is not off. I am just giving accurate info. Not getting that high level of support here.

What support are you looking for?

LadyJay Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 4:10am
post #30 of 38

At the end of the day everyone needs to buy what will work best fir them, and sometimes paying more for good customer service and one stop shopping is worth it. I haven't even purchased anything from edible images but yet the person I spoke to was more than happy to spend time with me and answer my many questions. Cintestcook, not sure why you seem so bothered by edible images but I can say without doubt they had the best customer service I have come across in a long time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%