Which Brand Of Airbrush Machine?

Decorating By Pammhill Updated 4 Jul 2011 , 2:22pm by NorthwoodsCC

Pammhill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pammhill Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 4

Hi Guys!

I am planning to buy an airbrush machine. I need some help on which to buy. I have seen a Master Airbrush brand that comes with Americolor paint and also a Salon Air brand. Which would be easiest to use for a beginner but good enough quality? I really appreciate all the help.

3 replies
NorthwoodsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NorthwoodsCC Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 2:17am
post #2 of 4

Pammhill, I am also wondering about the best airbrush set up. I recently purchased the Salon compressor/master airbrush set up--$69.00+ from TCP Global. [BTW, their customer service is awesome!!!

The compressor is great but I am having some trouble with the airbrush, itself. I think it is because I use it mostly for putting on a pearl finish. I haven't had enough time to just play around with it, but I did finally put in some plain coloring (no pearlizing particles) and the brush seemed to do fine--could be dumb luck or just that the airbrush handles plain color better. Given that I have had to take the airbrush apart 20+ times icon_cry.gif because of it clogging when using the pearl finish, I need to say that this airbrush is fairly easy to take apart and put back together.

Thanks for the great post. I am looking forward to seeing the responses you get. icon_smile.gif

SAHCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SAHCaker Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 3:05am
post #3 of 4

I did a lot of research on this topic of airbrushes before I bought mine. I finally got the Air Master compressor with the airbrush and I have no regrets (knock on wood it doesn't break on me tomorrow because I jinxed it). I considered getting Air Master Plus but it would have been too powerful and would have blown a hole right through buttercream so I just got the less powerful one. You could see some of my airbrushing in my photos (especially my hunting cake). I did get a Grex airbrush and I use this more than the Air Master one. So I would recommend getting just the compressor from Kopykake and the airbrush from Grex. Their airbrush is mounted on the side and you could change the angle of it so you never spill. Mine came with two different size cups and lids. HTH.

NorthwoodsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NorthwoodsCC Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 2:22pm
post #4 of 4

SAHCaker-
Just viewed your Hunting cake--OMG!!!!!! The airbrushing is phenomenal! Have you used your airbrush for pearling? I'm hoping to find an airbrush that better handles this sort of medium.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%