What Keeps Homemade Marshmellow Fondant From Getting Hard

Baking By LoriGirl Updated 2 Jul 2011 , 1:05am by cakeyouverymuch

LoriGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriGirl Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 9:12pm
post #1 of 6

Hi there. I am new to this site and new to cake decorating. I made a homemade marshmellow fondant and need to cover a wedding cake in it. What is going to keep that fondant from getting too hard to cut tomorrow? Will the moist buttercream underneath keep it pliable and able to cut? Any help would be great. Thanks.

5 replies
cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 6

In my experience marshmallow fondant NEVER gets too hard to cut.

LoriGirl Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 9:37pm
post #3 of 6

do you mind telling me what recipe you use or like the best?

cakeyouverymuch Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 10:08pm
post #4 of 6

My go to recipe is as follows:

Measure out 3.5 ounces of Crisco and use about one tablespoon of it to grease a large microwavable bowl, the bowl of your stand mixer and the dough hook, and a spatula and the handle of a wooden spoon (I use a spurtle but that's a whole other thread). In the microwaveable bowl place 16 ounces of marshmallows (I always use the generic ones) and two tablespoons of water. In bowl of stand mixer place 32 ounces of powdered sugar (I always use Roger's brand) and about half the remaining Crisco. Melt the marshmallows in the micro wave in 45 second increments, stir with the handle of the wooden spoon after each increment till the marshmallows are fully melted. Reapply the Crisco to the handle of the wooden spoon after each stirring. Add the melted marshmallows to the bowl of your stand mixer and mix at low speed till as much of the sugar is incorporated as possible. You'll have to scrape the sides a few times. Grease your counter and your hands liberally with Crisco and using the spatula scrape the contents of your bowl onto the counter and knead till all of the sugar is incorporated into the marshmallows. If it starts to stick to your hands or the counter, reapply Crisco. Once all of the sugar is fully incorporated, coat the ball of fondant with Crisco, wrap well in plastic wrap and put in a zip lock bag overnite. I have never used the full 3.5 ounces of Crisco when mixing the fondant. I cover whatever is left and use it when I'm rolling out the fondant it doesn't feel pliable enough.

The last time I made it I switched out one tablespoon of water for 1 tablespoon of glycerin (food grade), but I didn't notice that it made a huge difference in the end product.

I have also tried the jello MMF and candy melts MMF recipes here and found them both to be successful.

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/p/marshmallow-fondant-mmf-recipes.html

HTH and sorry for the length, hope I didn't put you to sleep.

LoriGirl Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 11:29pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you so much...I just crumb coated and should be ready to fondant after dinner. Do you put a fresh layer of buttercream over your crumb coat so that the fondand sticks?

cakeyouverymuch Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 1:05am
post #6 of 6

I'm not sure what others do, but I do put a layer of buttercream before the fondant.

Also note: if the fondant seems too hard to work you can soften it a bit in the microwave. I wouldn't put it in for more than ten seconds at a time. Just till it becomes easy to work. To much heat and it will become too soft to work with and have to be cooled down again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%