First Wedding Cake - I Have Questions

Decorating By s_mhammad Updated 2 Jul 2011 , 9:53am by s_mhammad

s_mhammad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
s_mhammad Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 12:18pm
post #1 of 6

I have a request for my first wedding cake. Bride is looking for a cake to feed 250 ppl. Firstly I've never made a cake to feed that many ppl. Do I really make a cake to feed that many or do I cut the amt in half? What size cakes do I need to make? How many tiers needed? ANY advice would be much appreciated!!!

5 replies
s_mhammad Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 12:23pm
post #2 of 6

FOrgot to add that there will be a sweet table at the wedding

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 12:46pm
post #3 of 6

First off I would ask the bride how many servings she wants and def stick with that.
Here are some places to look at serving sizes:

http://www.earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

Good luck icon_biggrin.gif

s_mhammad Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 11:52pm
post #4 of 6

Crazylady baker - Thanks for the response, and for the links! I will check with the bride to see if she really needs a cake to feed 250 ppl. I'm confused, because the last wedding I went to, when they served the wedding cake, one slice was cut in half. So if all wedding cakes are cut like that, that means that a cake that would normally feed 125 could feed 250 based on the way I remember seeing the cake sliced.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 12:02am
post #5 of 6

The Wilton wedding chart is for slices that are 1x2x4 (4 is the height of each tier, hopefully icon_biggrin.gif ). Those are pretty small slices for the US. I've heard that smaller servings are typical in other countries. I definitely wouldn't halve the Wilton servings...the bride will think you're trying to rip her off, and the person who cuts the cake won't be able to cut them that small without the cake wanting to crumble.

If the bride has invited 250 people, then not all of them will show up, so she may reduce the number of servings she needs as it gets closer to the wedding.

One thing you could do if you're not comfortable making a cake that big is to suggest a main cake that's a manageable size (maybe 3 tiers, 14" 10" and 6"...still big but not massive) and then kitchen cakes to make up the rest of the servings. But a lot of brides want a cake that's really huge and massive-looking and in the end it has to be what the bride wants.

s_mhammad Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 9:53am
post #6 of 6

Texas Rose - Thanks for the reply> I've never done more than a 3 tier cake, which is why i'm a bit nervous. To feed 250 I would need at least a 4 tier and I do not own pans bigger than 12 inch. The bride also mentioned she wants a "simple, elegant, in her budget cake". I will have to ask what her budget is before I even agree to make this cake.

Thanks for the advice/tips. I'll check back here once I find out more details on her part.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%