Please Help Me Get The Ruffled Flower Look, Ive Tried &

Decorating By TBEANZ Updated 5 Jul 2011 , 12:37pm by costumeczar

TBEANZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TBEANZ Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 9:53am
post #1 of 17

Hi guy's,

I have seen some awesome looking round ruffled gumpaste/fondant flowers pop up lately and i just cant do it.

I bought my 1st large ball tool, a foam pad, ive tried looking on you tube, asking people on cakecentral but i just cant get my round cut out to ruffle.

This is what i do: I cut out a round circle with my circle cookie cutter, I place this on my foam pad and start to go around the edges of my fondant cut out with my ball tool, i do this for some time with no luck.

If some could please give me step by step instructions of maybe a link to a tutorial i would be sooooo sooo gratefull.

Thanks so much for looking.

16 replies
PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 10:58am
post #2 of 17

There are links to lots of tutorials if you do a forum search. Go to the forums tab, then click on search (from the purple title line). In the search terms section type in flower tutorial. Select "all words", then to limit results select "Topic Titles Only". This gave me 8 results. If you can't find what you need from that - then do the same search but have the search include the titles and text. The largest one I found with my test search was:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-654803-flower.html+tutorial

You may get some YouTube results or Google results using "gumpaste flower tutorial"

Hope this helps.

lorimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorimarie Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 11:47am
post #3 of 17

Try rolling a toothpick on the edges

cakefairy03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy03 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 12:00pm
post #4 of 17

When you're using your ball tool, make sure half of the ball is on your fondant/gumpaste, and the other half is on your foam, as you go around the edge. Then you can either rub or roll the ball tool around the edge and you should get the effect you are looking for.

Good luck!

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 12:06pm
post #5 of 17

@tbeanz... are you rolling all the way around each petal applying the same pressure or varying at different points? Also check how you slide your ball... is it a roll (spin over the ball's edge) or a flat move?

Try doing partial "strokes" on the edge of your shape, let's say that you plan doing it on 3 sections. I don't mean you mark the sections, just do it mentally. Start each section and roll your ball firm over the edge, when you approach the middle put a little more pressure and release towards the end. Continue the same way with the second and third sections. By doing this you make the "ripple". Then roll from what will be the center of your flower towards the outer edge with a soft constant pressure to thin the petal an give a curved inner surface.

This wrote step by step sound much more complex than actually doing it... the first attemps you may be very aware of each move but soon you'll be doing it automatically.

hope it helps icon_smile.gif

Valkstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valkstar Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 12:24pm
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefairy03

When you're using your ball tool, make sure half of the ball is on your fondant/gumpaste, and the other half is on your foam, as you go around the edge. Then you can either rub or roll the ball tool around the edge and you should get the effect you are looking for.

Good luck!

This is what I learnt too......if you have the ball tool halfway on the gumpaste, the flower should ruffle up easily.

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 8:12am
post #7 of 17

I havent really tried too much to make flowers yet but I have a book and in it it says to roll The tool in a forward motion a bit applying pressure, then roll it back to you not applying pressure, and to slightly further back than where you started, then roll forward again with the pressure but not going as far then rolling back again without pressure. Each time you roll back you should be going a bit further back than where that roll started and each roll forward shouldn't go as far as the last. I hope that makes sense lol. Eventually you get all the way round although I have to admit when I had a go at this I didn't do very well.

Jenny

MaurorLess67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaurorLess67 Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 8:32am
post #8 of 17

Hi T-

Just a quick suggestion- when making flowers with fondant alone (not mixed with tylose or gumpaste) it can be very soft- I have found that if I let it dry/sit for a few miutes - not too long though- the edges will ruffle.

Arrange the petals in some type of former (from Wilton, in a cup, bowl, egg carton... etc) I prop mine up with with paper towels and balled up aluminum foil (don't use cotton balls on fresh fondant- it tends to stick). I have also found that the piping gel works better than water when making fondant flowers-

Fondant flowers do not dry as hard as gumpaste ones, so leave yourself enough time if using them on a cake.

Hope that helped- icon_smile.gif Post pics would love to see how you are making out

Mo

MaurorLess67 Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 8:33am
post #9 of 17

Hi T-

Just a quick suggestion- when making flowers with fondant alone (not mixed with tylose or gumpaste) it can be very soft- I have found that if I let it dry/sit for a few miutes - not too long though- the edges will ruffle.

Arrange the petals in some type of former (from Wilton, in a cup, bowl, egg carton... etc) I prop mine up with with paper towels and balled up aluminum foil (don't use cotton balls on fresh fondant- it tends to stick). I have also found that the piping gel works better than water when making fondant flowers-

Fondant flowers do not dry as hard as gumpaste ones, so leave yourself enough time if using them on a cake.

Hope that helped- icon_smile.gif Post pics, would love to see how you are making out

Mo

MaurorLess67 Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 8:34am
post #10 of 17

Hi T-

ame120103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ame120103 Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 9:49am
post #11 of 17

Thank you so much for asking this because I am having the exact same problem. Hoping to take in all your suggetions and get it to work for me too.

MaurorLess67 Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 9:06pm
post #12 of 17

sorry for the multiple posts- it kept coming up error- so I resent. icon_sad.gif

hope you guys are making out ok- I LOVE doing flowers- I am so much better at them then I am at covering, leveling, torting, baking etc- well, almost everything else (ha). Once you get the hang of them you will want to try all of them- icon_lol.gif

Try to post pics when your done!

TBEANZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TBEANZ Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 7:01am
post #13 of 17

Hi guy's,

Thanks so much for you help and tips etc, they really have helped.

I played around all weekend trying to get it, then BOOM....it happended and all your tips and suggestions came to light. So excited, it is definately an art and will take alot more practice but i am excited i am on my way.

Hi Mo - I have posted a pic of a little cake i did (just so i could try out my flowers) i used 3 -4 round cutters to get the flower look i wanted. They can definately look better but in time im sure they will.

Thanks again guy's.

Tina.

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 3:35pm
post #14 of 17

The toothpick method of ruffling works miracles! I use it on my carnation flowers! Be patient and practice. Just make sure your surface is well dusted with half-half corn starch and powdered sugar and you dust your toothpick with it to prevent sticking and ripping.

Have fun!

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 6:16pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBEANZ

Hi guy's,

I have seen some awesome looking round ruffled gumpaste/fondant flowers pop up lately and i just cant do it.

I bought my 1st large ball tool, a foam pad, ive tried looking on you tube, asking people on cakecentral but i just cant get my round cut out to ruffle.

This is what i do: I cut out a round circle with my circle cookie cutter, I place this on my foam pad and start to go around the edges of my fondant cut out with my ball tool, i do this for some time with no luck.

If some could please give me step by step instructions of maybe a link to a tutorial i would be sooooo sooo gratefull.

Thanks so much for looking.

How soft is your pad? If it's really soft, you won't get as much ruffling. I use a foam kneeling pad from the garden center....they're long and wide with plenty of room to work and they are quite firm textured too. They work great for ruffling.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 1:32pm
post #16 of 17

Yes, what Jeff saidicon_smile.gif I was ready to post htat bit of info when I came across this post.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 12:37pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Yes, what Jeff saidicon_smile.gif I was ready to post htat bit of info when I came across this post.

I third the idea...I use the white craft foam that you get at craft stores to mount pictures and things on. It's firmer than the foam pads I've bought from cake supply shops, and it gives you better resistance.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%