What To Use For Dog Whiskers?

Decorating By Debi2 Updated 1 Jul 2011 , 2:30pm by Debi2

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 3:50am
post #1 of 9

I'm making a Boston Terrier cake for my niece and I wondered if anyone could tell me the best thing to use for whiskers?

I tried to do a search , but had no luck and I need to have this done tomorrow and don't have the time to look through all the post...so forgive me if it's already been asked before. Thanks in advance!

8 replies
terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 4:12am
post #2 of 9

Use thin pasta, (raw) Put black gel in a bag with a round tip just big enought for the pasta to be inserted into the tip and bag filled with the gel....slowly pull pasta out while slightly squeeze bag and the black gel will stick to the pasta... Does that make sense.?

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 4:14am
post #3 of 9

You can use uncooked spaghetti. You can insert it into your pastry bag with a writing tip to coat it with icing.

Debi2 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 4:48am
post #4 of 9

Thanks guys! Yes, it does make sense and it's a great tip I will definitely use in the future, however...I think the whiskers on a Boston Terrier are clear? Is there any way to make clear ones using something different?

Thanks again!

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 5:07am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debi2

Thanks guys! Yes, it does make sense and it's a great tip I will definitely use in the future, however...I think the whiskers on a Boston Terrier are clear? Is there any way to make clear ones using something different?

Thanks again!

Asian spring noodles a.k.a. cellophane noodles are clear.

ahuvas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahuvas Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 11:34am
post #6 of 9

Could you use boiled sugar which you fling using a whisk onto a piece of greased paper? It will dry hard and thin as hair.

Debi2 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 12:38pm
post #7 of 9

Great ideas!!! I swear the people on this are brilliant! ha ha

I will try the cellophane noodles this time and see how that works. I've never used the boiled sugar..but I will definitely file that idea away to try another time! I would give it a shot now, just to see which I like better, but I really don't have the time or patience right now. Last night at 10:30 pm, I was moving the finished cake (all but whiskers), and I DROPPED it! The body separated from the head and torso and I was up late putting it back together again (like Humpty!) What a nightmare...whaaa. ha ha

Thanks so much for all your help everyone....I really appreciate it!!!

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 2:18pm
post #8 of 9

I know it isn't edible but you could use a heavy gauge fishing line.....

Debi2 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 2:30pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylee

I know it isn't edible but you could use a heavy gauge fishing line.....

Thanks terrylee! I had actually thought of that, but was trying to think of something edible. If the noodles don't work out, that will be my next thing to try...edible or not. ha ha icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%