Opposite Jobs To Baking

Lounge By Zuicidal_Zeth Updated 13 Sep 2011 , 8:36pm by kenidicalamity

Zuicidal_Zeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zuicidal_Zeth Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 11:59pm
post #1 of 11

i was just wondering, by trade im a builder of sort, plasterboarder/drylining, is all heavy work and in a manner destructive, my hobbies are building things, gardening, fixing push bikes, kids things etc, but i love to cook all sorts of foods/dishes ony recently have gotten into wanting the extra wow factor when it comes to the decor of my cakes. i was wandering if any others have got a job that people wouldnt associate them to such delicate work

10 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 11

I sit in front of a computer all day so I guess I'm still a "lightweight." My husband is a carpenter and now works in a warehouse but he still likes to help me bake.

Sandra10049 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandra10049 Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 5:11pm
post #3 of 11

I just graduated as a Registered Holistic Nutritionist. Instead of looking at it as a conflict to the cake/cookie making, I prefer to see it as a balance!

Sandra

SweetpeasBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetpeasBakery Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 11

When I'm not baking I'm grooming dogs! Let me tell you, there is a BIG difference between the icky smell of a wet dog and the delicious smell of a baking cake! hahah icon_smile.gif

instant-gratificaketion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
instant-gratificaketion Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 9:17pm
post #5 of 11

When I'm not baking, I work in a jail and a dispatch center.

Like Sweetpeas said, big difference in the smell! HA!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 11:09am
post #6 of 11

I owned a construction company before this. I ran crews of metal framers and I had a painting and wallpaper crew. We also rehabbed old houses. A few years ago, I fell off of a ladder and broke a vertebrae. It healed, but my husband warned that I would not heal as well the older I got. He requested that I become a stay-at-home mom. I thought that would be a good idea. I was so bored. I always believe in earning a living by doing what you do for fun. I have always loved to bake. So my new project is a bakery.

Ummeiko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ummeiko Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 4:30pm
post #7 of 11

It's not a job, but my number one hobby is video games. Lots of video games. I'm something of a tomboy, hang with the guys, never super girly. Always into the more computer and hi tech stuff (even if I'm not hands-on with building them like my boyfriend, I try to stay in the know). It's not a complete opposite, because I'm rather artistically inclined (my second hobby seems to be sketching), but still a lot of the guys I play online games with do not expect me to be decorating pretty cakes.

Zuicidal_Zeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zuicidal_Zeth Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 9:02am
post #8 of 11

thank you for all your replies, i hadnt come back to this topic having thought it hadnt appealed to people so was nice to see as many replies, im also a lover of computers and gaming although i tend to have what i call fads, i become addicted to doing something for a few months and then move onto something else lol, the only gaming i do tho is on the ps3.
As for grooming dogs i know how the smell can be as weve always had dogs in the house and friends with dogs are always popping around, my dad decided to groom him in the shed the one day which played havoc with the bike building as all the fur was sticking to anything with grease on lol

As for the building i find it can be quite a nice opposite with some aspects of building being quite heavy and demanding work, i find it quite reaxing to be able to go at a steady pace when making my cakes, althou i would love to go on a cake decorating course once i can afford it, it'd be nice to learn all the techniques properly so my cakes can turn out more like the amazing ones on here.
if any of you are on the ps3 feel free to add me user names are zuicidalzeth and zuicidal_zeth. again thankyou foryour replies

dreamacres Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamacres Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 3:16am
post #9 of 11

horse boarding stable owner. I see a trend, bad smells at work, yummy cake smells later. I have to say though most of the time I love the smell of a horse barn.

instant-gratificaketion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
instant-gratificaketion Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 12:16am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamacres

horse boarding stable owner. I see a trend, bad smells at work, yummy cake smells later. I have to say though most of the time I love the smell of a horse barn.

People think I'm crazy when I say it, but I LOVE the smell of a horse barn. Fresh hay, dirt, grain, and yes, even manure. It's so relaxing, that smell.

kenidicalamity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kenidicalamity Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 8:36pm
post #11 of 11

Tattoo shop owner, but more importantly body piercer and scarification artist. During the week I cut off peoples skin in a decorative fashion, during the weekends, I bake birthday cakes for kids. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%