Gumpaste Lei?

Decorating By CakelynsFinest Updated 4 Jul 2011 , 11:16pm by kimmisue2009

CakelynsFinest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakelynsFinest Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 11:10pm
post #1 of 3

I am doing a luau themed cake and want to make a lei. Does anyone know how to do it?

2 replies
MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 3

Chris Russom made a plumeria flower lei on Amazing Wedding cakes. It was several stacked travel trunks and it was impeccable! The lie hung off the corner of one of them. A picture of it is on pg 2 in the Wedding Cakes portfolio on their website (see the link). They made 50 or more gum paste plumeria flowers on toothpicks and then strung them. I've never made a decent plumeria so I can't help you in that respect. Sorry that's the only help I can give you. Hope it helps you in some way. Good luck.

http://letthemeatcake.net/weddingcakes.php

kimmisue2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmisue2009 Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 11:16pm
post #3 of 3

I made one a couple of days ago. I havent made the cake yet, so the pic isnt my forum. It was super simple - i just cut a ton of little fondant/gumpaste flowers out in the different colors and kinda ruffled the edges with my fingers a bit. Then I poked holes through the middle with a skewer and let them dry. I strung them on fishing line. The only thing I had to go back and re-do was to put little spacers between the flowers. When I strung the flowers together, it didnt really look lei-ish to me. I just made tiny little balls out of the gumpaste/fondant and poked holes through the middle with a straight pin. Hope that helps! Oh, and it didnt take nearly as many flowers as I thought it would.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%