After A Cake Is Baked... Next Steps...?

Decorating By WhenTalentsCollide Updated 1 Jul 2011 , 1:08am by WhenTalentsCollide

WhenTalentsCollide Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WhenTalentsCollide Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 10:13pm
post #1 of 10

After you pull a baked cake from the oven what colling process do you use...?

How long do you allow the cake to cool in the pan...? Do you allow the cake to cool completely before placing in the refridgerator...?

When and why would you freeze a cake...?

It's best for a cake to be cooler and stiffer to apply icing...?

Say you were only planning on icing and decorating the following day, do you wrap the cake in anything or can you just put it in the fridge on a cooling rack...?

9 replies
Zuicidal_Zeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zuicidal_Zeth Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 10

how would i watch this topic as id be interestedto know, as it is, i take mine out the oven, leave for 5 mins in tin then place on cooling rack but then i dont put them in fridge, i just cover them once theve cooled to stop any condensation building, sorry to answer to you with a question of my own

Jens88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jens88 Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 11:18pm
post #3 of 10

I would freeze my cakes in advance if I knew I wouldn't have time to be baking later on, also some believe it helps to lock the moisture into the cake.
If I wanted to decorate the next day I would just store my cake in an airtight container, but I'm from the UK where heat is not normally an issue, possibly US bakers may store in the refridgerator...

Jens88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jens88 Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 11:19pm
post #4 of 10

Also, make sure your cake has completely cooled before applying icing otherwise the buttercream will become runny!

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 11:24pm
post #5 of 10

zuicidal_zeth to answer your question.... since you posted on this tread, whenever you want to follow it just click on the tab that says My forum post which is to your left. O n the screen will come up all the post that you have commented on...this way you can keep up with the new answers.

To When talents colide, I will be waiting for the answers also. icon_biggrin.gif

Zuicidal_Zeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zuicidal_Zeth Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 11:32pm
post #6 of 10

thankyou soledad, i kept having to click back on the page to get where i was and refreshing it, so very hady to know lol

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 12:11am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenTalentsCollide

How long do you allow the cake to cool in the pan...?

Some wait 10 minutes or so... I wait 30--plenty of time to allow the pan to cool so it can be handled without pot holders or burns from mishaps.

Quote:

Do you allow the cake to cool completely before placing in the refridgerator...?

Yes, cool completely, but never refrigerate--it dries it out.

Quote:

When and why would you freeze a cake...?

When = After cooled, and when baking in advance.
Why = To be able to bake in advance, store it out of the way, and to help add moisture.

Quote:

It's best for a cake to be cooler and stiffer to apply icing...?

Easier, but not always best if you get blow-outs from icing a cake that is still frozen or partially frozen.

Quote:

Say you were only planning on icing and decorating the following day, do you wrap the cake in anything or can you just put it in the fridge on a cooling rack...?

You can wrap it for a day to avoid drying out if at room temp. High-production facilities don't necessarily wrap if freezing for a day. Refrigerating isn't recommended, but if you do, I'd wrap it to avoid it absorbing odors from a residential fridge and to help prevent it from drying out because that's what refrigerators do--suck out moisture/remove humidity.

mfoxx9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfoxx9 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 12:50am
post #8 of 10

I place the pan on a wire rack after it comes out of the oven for 10-15 minutes to cool, then turn the cake out onto the rack to cool completely.

After it cools completely, I level the cake, then wrap in plastic wrap or press 'n' seal. If I'm icing and decorating the next day, I leave it wrapped on the counter.

If I'm baking in advance, I double wrap in plastic wrap and double wrap in foil or place in a freezer bag and put it in the freezer until I'm ready to decorate. When I take it out of the freezer, I let it thaw completely before decorating. I use a crusting buttercream, and when I ice a cold cake, it takes forever to crust, which drives me crazy.

I hope this answered all of your questions. My process is very similar to CWR's. I never put my cakes in the refrigerator. As she said, cakes dry out more quickly in the fridge.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 12:54am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuicidal_Zeth

how would i watch this topic

Once you reply to a topic, you receive automatic email updates with a link to the thread. If you wish to no longer receive the alerts, click on "stop watching this topic" at the bottom of the page within the thread.

If you want to follow a thread without replying within it, click on "watch this topic" at the bottom of the page within the thread of interest.

WhenTalentsCollide Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WhenTalentsCollide Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 1:08am
post #10 of 10

so popping cakes into refridgeration is a bad thing for them huh...?

never knew that... i typically bake the night before, pop them in the fridge and decorate the following day... i guess i will start to wrap them to protect them in the fridge, although i've yet to have anyone claim a cake was dry... so maybe i shouldn't fix what isn't broken yet...

I have a dedicated fridge for cakes, so i don't worry about any residual odors getting into them...

thanks for the replies so far and keep any other advice coming...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%