Does Anyone Wish They Had Never Said Yes

Decorating By patjobes Updated 1 Jul 2011 , 1:38am by SugarFrosted

patjobes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patjobes Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 10

i am making a three tiered stacked wedding cake, im am from uk so its all fruit cakes and marzipan, i normaly put these cakes up on site but i cant with this one, the bride wants to collect it , problem is it weighs a ton a 12 a 10 and 8 inch even the topper needs to be stuck on as the design is heart shapes stuck on the side at an angle half on lower cace and other half on upper cake the 8 and 10 have turned out fine perfect sides straight edges everything , but the 12 inch is giving me night mares i cant seem to get the icing right then it doesnt look straight and even the sheer weight of the cake is a worry, i am getting some plywood from diy to add to bottom of of large tier board and i am also using a 15 inch and 16 inch board but do you think that will be stable enough, i have rang bride a million times and explained about issues etc but she still wants to come for it, i cant think of what else to do. on top of this my 8 inch is now a nine my 10 inch is now 11 and my 12 inch is nearly 14 inch with all the marzipan etc, i realy wish i didnt say yes to it now, and because the design is so simple i cant hide any floors with anything, now im scared to lift bottom tier onto its main boar in case it bends or cracks or something , i wish i was american and then i could do sponge and buttercream etc, at the minute i want to run away

9 replies
what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 6:30pm
post #2 of 10

even being american, customers find a way to be "difficult" at times.

So, just tell your bride she will have to sign a liability waiver and assume all responsibility for the cake to arrive the venue in perfect condition!!!

Maybe then she'll realize... LOL!

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 6:32pm
post #3 of 10

To answer your question: Every. single. time. lol Hang in there. Hope you get it all figured out, the bride is happy, and that it holds up fine.

Cakeuhlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeuhlicious Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 10

I always find myself regretting saying yes to a cake project when I'm "in-the-moment", making it, and things start going wrong. I get stressed out over every single perfect detail. But, when I deliver it and everyone loves it, I am instantly re-energized and ready for the next one. I find I am certainly my biggest critic and people really don't notice anything I kill myself worrying over. icon_razz.gif

My_Little_Cake_Shop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
My_Little_Cake_Shop Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 7:49pm
post #5 of 10

I regret saying yes when its a small order and it gives me nightmares lol if its a big one then its worth it kind of

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 8:32pm
post #6 of 10

LOL Yes, I'm saying it right now! My DH's nephew and his fiance asked me a whole year ago to makes the Groom's cake for their wedding (next weekend). They live in another state and it's a 7 hour drive for us. Silly me, thinking I had a whole year to figure it out said yes.

The request for the cake: A teddy bear (his nickname) driving a tractor (he's a farmer) and a pheasant (he hunts). So I decided I'm not trying any fancy cake carving. So I made the Tractor and teddy bear out of RKT and fondant and it will be the topper on the cake. Turned out pretty good. Just hoping it will survive the trip. My immediate problem is the pheasant. I'm making it out of fondant too. First try looks horrible! icon_cry.gif Still have to bake and freeze the cake and make the ganache and the fondant and decorations to make the cake look like a cornfield for the tractor to sit on. AAAHHHGGG I'm running out of time. Not to mention I have to do all the assembling, icing and decorating in my MIL's kitchen.

So anyway, yes I feel for you. I too wish I didn't say yes. But ya know, if it all works out, I'll be so glad I did icon_smile.gif

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 8:57pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeuhlicious

I always find myself regretting saying yes to a cake project when I'm "in-the-moment", making it, and things start going wrong. I get stressed out over every single perfect detail. But, when I deliver it and everyone loves it, I am instantly re-energized and ready for the next one. I find I am certainly my biggest critic and people really don't notice anything I kill myself worrying over. icon_razz.gif

Exactly! The wedding cake I did last month was a TOTAL DISASTER!!!! (I told my DH the morning of delivery I was NEVER doing it again.) That is, until after I delivered it, and people were saying how nice it looked...once I stepped back and thought about it as a whole cake instead of "a bulge on the bottom tier, a crack on the top, the one broken rose petal that was strategically placed..." I felt a lot better about it and 4 hours later was excited that someone else was asking about me doing another! lol Cakeuhlicious is right and you'll feel better when it's all done!

Cakes-and-bakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakes-and-bakes Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 1:18am
post #8 of 10

Yes. God yes.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 1:25am
post #9 of 10

Well timed thread - I just today committed to doing a freebee cake for a friend's wedding before asking the headcount - 200. icon_eek.gif I honestly thought it would be a small affair because they don't have any $. I don't know why it didn't occur to me that they have parents.

Good thing I told them baker's choice on final flavor and design. thumbs_up.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 1:38am
post #10 of 10

Frequently, unfortunately.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%