Will Red Buttercream Roses Bleed?

Decorating By threeforhim Updated 30 Jun 2011 , 3:28pm by threeforhim

threeforhim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
threeforhim Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 5

I am doing a wedding cake in ivory buttercream with red roses for Friday. The venue is about one hour away. The summer temperatures are 100+. If I completely stack and decorate the cake today/tonight and freeze it, will the red roses bleed onto the ivory base while thawing or will it be ok? I know I will need to get the car cooled down ahead of time. The roses are buttercream, too.

4 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 5

I wouldn't freeze it myself, but then again, I live in an area that has really bad humidity. You can't take anything out of the fridge for longer than a few seconds with out it forming condensation on it. The condensation on the cake could cause the red to bleed on to the white.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 3:02pm
post #3 of 5

If your roses aren't already air dried, they will most likely bleed onto the ivory icing during the thawing process from condensation. (Did you make them in advance to let them air dry?) I wouldn't freeze an entire finished wedding cake for any reason especially when it's due tomorrow.

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 3:09pm
post #4 of 5

If you use Indydeb"s butter cream the hot temps do not matter. Find the recipe here on CC

threeforhim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
threeforhim Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 5

I made the roses on Monday so they'd be good and dry. I live in a high humid area. I was planning on freezing it since the site is one hour away from my house. It's buttercream and I seem to have issued with complete buttercream cakes. I prefer fondant but my friend wanted buttercream. I know, TMI. I used Sugarshack's buttercream to make the roses and fill. I will need to make another batch of icing to crumb coat and ice today.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%