Please Help With This Tutorial!!!

Decorating By sugarxosugar143 Updated 1 Jul 2011 , 11:59am by sugarxosugar143

sugarxosugar143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarxosugar143 Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 9:16pm
post #1 of 7

i just tried this tutorial the other day and it came out great!
http://cakecentral.com/articles/69/upside-down-icing-technique-for-perfectly-smooth-icing
BUT it only worked well when i used homemade buttercream. Which is sad for me because my family and friends prefer store bought frosting(yuk!) because its "cheaper" icon_sad.gif Anyone have any tips on how to do this with store bought frosting? Like is there anything i could add to the store bought that would make it so the frosting doesnt stick to the parchment paper??
Also, after the cake was done and ready to eat a few bubbles surfaced on the top? why would it do that and any tips on how to prevent it?

6 replies
mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 1:53pm
post #2 of 7

I believe this technique will only work with a crusting buttercream. Canned frosting is too thin and sticky to smooth well.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 4:04pm
post #3 of 7

Maybe if you added some powdered sugar to the canned icing, it would firm up enough to try.

sugarxosugar143 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 2:51am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsmomma

Maybe if you added some powdered sugar to the canned icing, it would firm up enough to try.

cant hurt to try! thanks icon_smile.gif

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 3:04am
post #5 of 7

...or meringue powder.

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 3:06am
post #6 of 7

I've had students try to add stuff to make store brought icing firm up & have seen nothing that has worked yet. I had one student add almost the whole 2 lb bag...& it still didn't help. It's better to make your own.

sugarxosugar143 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 11:59am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumlady

I've had students try to add stuff to make store brought icing firm up & have seen nothing that has worked yet. I had one student add almost the whole 2 lb bag...& it still didn't help. It's better to make your own.

i agree, homemade is alot better but when friends and family ask me to make there cake for them they buy the mixes and frostings and i tell them i can make homemade if they buy the ingredients for that instead but most wont because its cheaper to use store bought(yuk!) lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%