Level Cake Tiers

Decorating By audreygb Updated 2 Jul 2011 , 3:42am by Kitagrl

audreygb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audreygb Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 9:11pm
post #1 of 14

Hi everyone I was just wondering if you could share your tips on levelling and torting a cake without using the wilton leveler which I have and dont like or an agbay which I would love but can afford! TIA

13 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 1:31am
post #2 of 14

Really, the Agbay is the best cake tool on the market. Start saving, ask family and friends to chip in for a birthday or holiday gift. It is worth every penny.

sweetsirten Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsirten Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 1:41am
post #3 of 14

I have the opportunity to go to an amazing blown sugar/isolmalt class in August ... the cost is $200. I am seriously fighting with myself over it, because I think the Agbay might be money better spent. I mean, the class would be cool and all, but it is a skill I would use rarely. The Agbay would be used at least once a week, forever! Sounds like I've already made up my mind, doesn't it?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 1:46am
post #4 of 14

After several years of hearing everyone here brag on it, I got one last week!!!!

NICE.

I've been doing regular wedding cakes for a venue now (basically standard buttercream simple tiers) so it involves weekly torting many layers so it was definitely time.

leah_s Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 2:05am
post #5 of 14

Seriously, Sweets, get the Agbay. You'll thank yourself every cake.

Kitagrl Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 2:24am
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Seriously, Sweets, get the Agbay. You'll thank yourself every cake.

Funny, I was like...OH-KAY I'll get this thing, but ONLY one blade.

Here a week later I'm already eyeing that second blade. Haha. Do you use both blades?

gatorcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorcake Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 2:54am
post #7 of 14

Back to the original question--while it won't help with leveling, you can use dental floss (non-minty kind). Google search videos for dental floss and cake and you will find people showing how they did it (may have to sort through the ones where people are cutting decorated cakes with it.

Also could use a long flat blade and find some kind of guide that is 1 in by 2 inch--place the guides on either side of the cake -- run the blade along the guides. If you baked 2 inch rounds the 1 by 2 will level them at 2 inches and let you torte them right in the middle. Alton Brown did this using fence pickets. Not recommending using them (he loves using the hardware store) rather the principle behind it.

JenTwirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenTwirl Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 3:06am
post #8 of 14

Am I missing out on an awesome tool? What is agbay?

Kitagrl Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 3:08am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenTwirl

Am I missing out on an awesome tool? What is agbay?

Its a really high quality cake leveler...like the wilton cake leveler with a long blade that evenly tortes your cakes...but WAYYYYYY stronger and better than Wilton. It has like measuring things on the sides to set it to whatever height you want your cake layers to be, and also for torting.

YorkieMaMa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YorkieMaMa Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 3:17am
post #10 of 14

Which Wilton leveler do you have? There is a deluxe model that I think works pretty well. Why don't you like it?

JenTwirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenTwirl Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 3:19am
post #11 of 14

Wow, I can't believe I didn't know about this. i hate the large wilton one, the blade gets so bent then I have "waves" in my layers. Where can this tool be purchased?

leah_s Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 3:20am
post #12 of 14

Just watch the Agbay at work. Click onto their website.

Kita, don't hate me, but I have two Agbays, a single and a double. The double I use for torting and leveling and I never have to move the blades. I have the single to slice off the top of the icing for a clean edge and level top.

I know, I'm spoiled. But happy.

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 3:28am
post #13 of 14
Quote:

Really, the Agbay is the best cake tool on the market. Start saving, ask family and friends to chip in for a birthday or holiday gift. It is worth every penny.

I bought myself one for mothers day and LOVE it. Yeah, I didn't want to spend that much but after the first use I was so over that.
I think my Wilton wire one will probably just rust away.. icon_lol.gif

Kitagrl Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 3:42am
post #14 of 14
Quote:

Just watch the Agbay at work. Click onto their website.

Kita, don't hate me, but I have two Agbays, a single and a double. The double I use for torting and leveling and I never have to move the blades. I have the single to slice off the top of the icing for a clean edge and level top.

I know, I'm spoiled. But happy.

Yeah I'm about to write her back and say...oops...I need the second blade after all! Like you said, I could just set it once and from now on I'll have perfect torted layers.

I was afraid to set mine to use for leveling the top of the cake...I'm afraid it will put pressure on the cake and mess up the filling....of course my main cake this week was pound cake which takes a little more effort to cut, especially when cold (no comments about my chilly cakes! ha).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%