What Is Your Favorite Icing??

Baking By Cakeuhlicious Updated 1 Jul 2011 , 3:27pm by Cakeuhlicious

Cakeuhlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeuhlicious Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 21

Hi All! icon_smile.gif

I love making cupcakes and my mother's having a charity bake sale on Friday and asked if I would make some mini's for her event. (of course I said yes!). However, I have yet to find an icing recipe -ANY ICING RECIPE- that I truly love the taste and consistency of. I'm a very hap-hazard baker...I like to look up different recipes and try them on a whim. Nothing like that has ever worked in my favor for icing. I have yet to find the diamond in the rough.

I'd like to know what YOUR favorite icing recipes are and perhaps why you like them?

I think getting a word of mouth recommendation from some experienced people would probably be much better than the "find and try" method I am currently employing. icon_razz.gif

20 replies
Crazyforcupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazyforcupcakes Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 8:13pm
post #2 of 21

I know some people think that the cooked flour frosting sounds awful, but I think it is delicious! It is made with regular sugar, not confectioner's sugar, and I think it is less sweet. It is fluffy and delicious.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Creamy-Vanilla-Frosting-241564

post #3 of 21

I know some people think that the cooked flour frosting sounds awful, but I think it is delicious! It is made with regular sugar, not confectioner's sugar, and I think it is less sweet. It is fluffy and delicious.

post #4 of 21

post #5 of 21

Crazyforcupcakes Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 21

Sorry about the multiple posts!

hebberd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hebberd Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 8:34pm
post #7 of 21

I have found that is more about the flavoring you use then the recipe but in answer to your question, I use Indydebi's Buttercream Recipe that you can find here on this site. I use Lorann Gourmet Double Strength Vanilla for my flavoring. It has an incredible flavor to it! Just remember if you do use it that because it is a double strength vanilla that you should only use half of what the recipe calls for. Hope this helps. Good luck with your cupcakes! icon_smile.gif

Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 8:42pm
post #8 of 21

I just made Indydebi's Buttercream Recipe with frozen orange juice concentrate as the flavor instead of vanilla and orange rind and it was AMAZING with the dark chocolate cake I made.

Yum!!!-off to the gym icon_lol.gif

Cakeuhlicious Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 9:18pm
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyforcupcakes

I've heard good things about cooked flour. I tried it once and mine was lumpy, but I didn't whisk it! I will give this a try for sure icon_smile.gif

DianneandBrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianneandBrad Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 9:34pm
post #10 of 21

My FAVORITE is the Whimsical Bakehouse House Recipe Buttercream by far! It's not real sweet, but very smooth and creamy. H always get compliments and requests for it.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 5:29am
post #11 of 21

Mine is the buttercream recipe I always use. It has cream cheese in it, but it's not considered a cream cheese frosting per se.

1- 8 ounce box of cream cheese softened
2 sticks (8 ounces) real butter
1 2lb package of Powdered sugar (use real cane PS)

Beat butter and cream cheese until smooth, add powdered sugar slowly.
That's it! No vanilla necessary. Though to change it up you can add extracts or zests of lemon and orange. It was the recipe the bakery I worked for used and I use it all the time. Everyone loves it. It crusts great and tastes delish.

kkbritt8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkbritt8 Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 5:52am
post #12 of 21

Buttercream dream recipe here on CC. The trick is to let the butter and shortening cream together really well before adding the PS. After the PS, again, let it mix really well. It turns out incredibly smooth and I get the most compliments on it.

helen3743 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helen3743 Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 6:02am
post #13 of 21

Cakeuhlicious, have you tried a SMBC? i think it's not too sweet, but still very delicious.

but can't wait to try the other recipes suggested here icon_smile.gif

venetis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
venetis Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 10:45am
post #14 of 21

I like buttercream icing both for icing the cake and for the decorating.

KatieKraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKraft Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 4:24pm
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

Mine is the buttercream recipe I always use. It has cream cheese in it, but it's not considered a cream cheese frosting per se.

1- 8 ounce box of cream cheese softened
2 sticks (8 ounces) real butter
1 2lb package of Powdered sugar (use real cane PS)

Beat butter and cream cheese until smooth, add powdered sugar slowly.
That's it! No vanilla necessary. Though to change it up you can add extracts or zests of lemon and orange. It was the recipe the bakery I worked for used and I use it all the time. Everyone loves it. It crusts great and tastes delish.

You had me at cream cheese icon_lol.gif Sounds yummy icon_smile.gif Thank you!

KatieKraft Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 4:27pm
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by helen3743

Cakeuhlicious, have you tried a SMBC? i think it's not too sweet, but still very delicious.

but can't wait to try the other recipes suggested here icon_smile.gif

I didn't really know there were so many variations of BC until reading forums here! icon_redface.gif

Im loving this thread lol

KatieKraft Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 4:28pm
post #17 of 21

Venetis: Those cupcakes are so cute! I love the different colors. They look delicious!!

Cakeuhlicious Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 4:34pm
post #18 of 21

carmijok - indeed that cream cheese bc sounds yum thumbs_up.gif

ven - cute cupcakes! did you get your recipe for the bc here?

katiek - me neither @ the bc differences. lol

Thanks for all the replies. I have a lot of stuff to try now! icon_biggrin.gif

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 4:43pm
post #19 of 21

I am also a HUGE fan of Whimsical Bakehouse House Buttercream. Deliciously creamy and not too sweet

MeliaJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeliaJ Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 4:43pm
post #20 of 21

The cream cheese buttercream sounds yummy. Do you keep in refridgerated after icing with it?

Cakeuhlicious Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 3:27pm
post #21 of 21

I tried the cream cheese recipe last night on these cupcakes and it IS yummy!! Veryyyyyyyyyy sweet! My sister said she felt like she may be becoming diabetic just eating a cupcake (lol) I will probably try the SMBC for a cake I'm doing this weekend and see if that tickles her fancy better icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%