Disaster! Who Wants To Be My Mentor?

Decorating By Tfaye Updated 28 Jun 2011 , 11:42pm by Tfaye

Tfaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tfaye Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 5

My nine year old daughter loves anything Pokemon and I plan to make a Pikachu cake and a Poke ball cake for her birthday. I wanted to try out both cakes before her birthday.

I made my fist fondant cake yesterday, and the cake fell apart. I was making a Pokeball (which creates a Pokemon). I had a great idea to put little Pokemon characters inside of the cake, but the cake was so heavy and their is no way I can handle it without it cracking. I think this type of ball cake needs to sit in one spot.

My marshmallow fondant turned out perfect and it was easy to roll out so that part is good.

Does anyone have any thoughts on ball shaped cakes? I might be way to new at cake baking and decorating to be in this forum because my questions will seem like common sense to most people.

Anyway, I don't want to give up just yet.

Tammy

4 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 5

The way I'm reading this, you tried to add characters to a hollow ball cake? How are you making the ball cake? With a sports ball pan or a dome pan?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 7:01pm
post #3 of 5

@Tammy, I've seen several cakes with the ball on top... and I believe in most is not cake but a RKT ball!!!

ame120103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ame120103 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 7:17pm
post #4 of 5

I am also very new to this and my cakes are far from perfect but I did a Bakugan one last week with a ball on top that was made from cake, is something like that what your looking for help with?

Tfaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tfaye Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 11:42pm
post #5 of 5

I'm making the cake with a sport's ball pan. I have two sides that I put the cake mix in. Once it is cooked I frost the middle and put the two half balls together.

The ball I want to do is all cake and not RKT

I think I'm going to do something different. I looked at some other cakes and thinking maybe just make a flat cake in a round pan, then put the ball on top of the flat cake so it doesn't look so weird?

I wanted to put the characters in the middle of the cake. It was just an idea though.

Thanks
Tammy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%