SugarCreations Posted 8 Sep 2005 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 16

Which do you prefer?

Store bought box mix or scratch cakes?

15 replies
justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 8 Sep 2005 , 10:19pm
post #2 of 16

I like both, for boxed brand I will only by Ducan Hines. I just do not like the other brands of cakes mixes. Now I will use only the regular ducan hines (red box), the super moist (the front of box is white). It is good but too moist for slicing and frosting cakes. I love making cakes from scratch too, so it will depend on what you want. Now, when I see ducan hines on sale for $0.99 I do buy a 15 boxes or more becuase they usually are $3.99 a box, can not skip on a deal like that.

aupekkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aupekkle Posted 8 Sep 2005 , 10:19pm
post #3 of 16

I like both. Scratch cakes gives me a sense of accomplishment, but box cake also makes life easier and you can use it in a time crunch and you know that they will come out moist most of the time.

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 8 Sep 2005 , 10:38pm
post #4 of 16

I only use box mixes now. I do doctor them up and my tip to keep them moist....is to cover with plastic wrap as soon as you turn them out of the pan. This really seals in the moisture. Helen

casandra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casandra Posted 8 Sep 2005 , 11:01pm
post #5 of 16

I use mixes for white or yellow cakes, Betty Crocker only, my secret is to substitute a 1/4c. of applesauce for part of the water. I then freeze my cakes and they turn out wonderfully moist! I have a lady at my church that swears I am lying about using a mix...I did conveniently "forget" to tell her this trick! icon_biggrin.gif
P.S. I make everything else from scratch

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 9 Sep 2005 , 12:17am
post #6 of 16

candylady,
I've never had a cakemix that produced a dry cake. By moist, do you mean wet? Some mixes, I think it's DH, produce a cake that is almost wet.

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 9 Sep 2005 , 1:30am
post #7 of 16

Bubble, no I didn't mean wet. Just extra moist.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 9 Sep 2005 , 12:57pm
post #8 of 16

Depends on what i'm making, as to what i use. Carrot and banana cake are always scratch. White nearly always starts with a box, but i too, have had people swear that its scratch cake, even when i told them its a box.

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 9 Sep 2005 , 1:03pm
post #9 of 16

I use doctored box mixes...mostly Duncan Hines... I think they hold up better for a stacked cake...That's just my opinon...
cakegal

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 9 Sep 2005 , 1:05pm
post #10 of 16

Has anyone tried adding cream cheese to Betty Crocker cake mix?

caketime Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caketime Posted 9 Sep 2005 , 4:33pm
post #11 of 16

99% of the time I'll bake from scratch. Unless there is a great sale on a mix I'll pick one up for emergency purposes - it's 10PM and I forgot that I said I'd bring something in to work.

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 9 Sep 2005 , 8:54pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeRookie

Which do you prefer?

Store bought box mix or scratch cakes?

This is funny!!! I just opened a poll to ask the same question!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Sorry. I should've checked first.

I use scratch!!!!

jdab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdab Posted 11 Sep 2005 , 4:13pm
post #13 of 16

I use only boxed cake mixes and doctor it up with jello powder. I get a unique flavour (and colour). I then team up the filling with the cake flavour. I have have been told that you can't tell its's from a box. icon_rolleyes.gif

faded_dress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
faded_dress Posted 11 Sep 2005 , 6:40pm
post #14 of 16

I love boxed cake mixes, they just taste better in my opinion. Plus its quicker. My favorite is ducan hines as well. The Devil's Food Chocolate cake mix is so good, I always get compliments on it icon_wink.gif

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 11 Sep 2005 , 8:56pm
post #15 of 16

I always make my cakes from scratch. Boxed mixes over here are quite expensive, there's not much varity and they all seem to have a strange aftertaste when they're cooked. I do have a food mixer that I use when making my cakes and I find this makes the time difference between box and scratch cakes negligable When people order off me it's one of my boasts that all my cakes are home made and most customers would be horrified if I delivered a beautifully decorated cake that was made from a box mix. They pay for the cake as much as the decorating.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 11 Sep 2005 , 9:14pm
post #16 of 16

I would have to say I like using boxed mixes and add some flavorings. For stacked cakes I use Duncan Hines. I have recently started using Pillsbury yellow and milk chocolate for sheet cakes. I find that it comes out very moist and the yellow has a great flavor.
traci

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%