Has Anyone Ever....

Baking By fweetiecakes Updated 28 Jun 2011 , 6:50pm by Annabakescakes

fweetiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fweetiecakes Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 9

Has anyone ever tried adding cornstarch to a box cake mix to obtain a finer crumb?

I've been asked for a wedding cake for 450ppl, and I'm not about to make that much cake from scratch! I love the fine crumb of a scratch cake, but I'm not sure how else to get that in a cake mix unless I add corn starch like one would to AP flour to make cake flour.

8 replies
dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 9

I've never tried that, but I do use and love the WASC method for cake mixes. You can find the recipe here, just search WASC. It gives a really moist, tender crumb cake much like a scratch cake. Plus, it extends the box mix so each box goes further!

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 10:07pm
post #3 of 9

I've never tried it before but since your doing it for a wedding I suggest you try it/experiment a sample & let us know how it turns out icon_biggrin.gif

MamaDear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaDear Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 10:38pm
post #4 of 9

I usually add three tablespoons of cake flour per mix and reduce the water from 1 and 1/4 cup to only 1 cup.

The way I get a finer texture is to beat the eggs, oil and water for about a minute and then sift the cake mix/flour before I add to the cake mix and beat it for two more minutes than the package says. I usually use Betty Crocker but if Pilsbury is on sale I use that.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 12:11am
post #5 of 9

That sounds like a neat idea...I would love to know how the experiments go if you try it. I will try it on a cake for my family this week if I remember! How much should I try? A Tablespoon or so?

josefina20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josefina20 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 12:39am
post #6 of 9

mamadear, that sound cool, is this recipe good for fondant?

teresamariegross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teresamariegross Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 12:54am
post #7 of 9

I just use Pillsbury cake mix and beat it on med high a couple min longer and it works great. I have tried other ways and with the raves I get I can't bring myself to change it. The frosting and fondant help keep the moisture in so it is not falling apart and crumbing

fweetiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fweetiecakes Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 6:42pm
post #8 of 9

thanks ladies! I think I will try it and I'll check back and let you all know! i'm always afraid to beat a mix too long for fear it will get too much air? You don't find a lot of air pockets in it when you do that?

I love the moistness of the WASC recipe, but the crumb comes out more like cornbread to me...or something close to that. I'm hoping adding cornstarch may alleviate that and make it a bit more delicate.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 6:50pm
post #9 of 9

If you use the flat paddle on your Kitchen Aid or a flat beater in a hand mixer, there will not be too much air in it. I beat mine batter for quite a few minutes, until it is very smooth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%