Using Earth Balance In A Buttercream Recipe?

Baking By hannah4965 Updated 28 Jun 2011 , 4:54am by scp1127

hannah4965 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hannah4965 Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 4

Hi, so my boyfriends mother and brother are allergic to all dairy products,(and also eggs, nuts&fish,just his brother is allergic to yeast and just his mom is allergic to soy), and i've been wanting to make a buttercream using earth balance soy free spread. I read on here that it would be better to use the sticks, which they don't sell the Soy Free kind in. I was wondering if anybody had any recipes using the soy free spread, and rice milk?

3 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 10:15pm
post #2 of 4

I'vve used the tub stuff and soy milk and that works just fine.

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 10:32pm
post #3 of 4

Earth Balance works fine and tastes pretty good, but I don't care for the intense yellow color of it. You milk want to use 1/2 Earth Balance and 1/2 Spectrum Organics Shortening, which is soy-free.

Soy-free, dairy-free milks that I've used include rice milk, almond milk, hazelnut milk, and hemp milk, and they all work well for buttercream.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 4:54am
post #4 of 4

I agree with sangriacupcake. The Earth Balance has a distinct taste. In my vegan experiments, the mix of EB/shortening was the best. It also stands up well to additions. I added quite a bit of fresh pureed strawberries and it held up well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%