Coloring Candy Melts After They Have Set

Sugar Work By AnnieCahill Updated 27 Jun 2011 , 5:33pm by Kiddiekakes

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 4:20pm
post #1 of 6

I need to make some seashells for a cake this week. I was going to just melt the white candies and make the shells, then dust with powdered food coloring for soft color.

Do you think this would work? I have never done anything with candy melts in my life so I'm not sure how it will work.

5 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 5:13pm
post #2 of 6

It is actually easier to melt several colors and marble the shells.You can also dust the inside of the molds first before you pour the candy melts in the molds.The dust will adhere to the shells giving it a shiny surface.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 6

It's the best way to color shells! Only, you'll want to use luster dust rather than dull powdered food coloring.

Experiment with multiple colors on each shell. It's a very cool effect.

Here's a picture of shells created using this method: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1271782/1383769

Make sure your shells are at room temp with no condensation. In other words, don't start dusting straight out of the frig.

Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 5:18pm
post #4 of 6

Yes..I meant lustre dust...LOL

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 5:26pm
post #5 of 6

Kiddiekakes, it's interesting that you find marbling the candy easier than dusting a solid color. I used to do the marbling, but then discovered that dusting the solid color was EASIER!

I've never tried dusting the mold before pouring in the candy. Seems to me the cavities (molds) would need to be cleaned between each color change. Sounds like extra labor. Not that I mind it if I get a good result, but this extra step involves CLEANING! *runs away screaming* icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 5:33pm
post #6 of 6

I actually don't find them any easier really..I should have clarified that better..I just like the look..I haven't tried the lustre dust yet I read about it here on CC and thought I'd pass it along but maybe I'll have to try it soon...LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%